• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punishments

I prefer using rewards than punishments, but sometimes they become necessary. What punishments do you use? With children, I have noticed that putting them on a tiring stance (such as shiko dachi in karate) for a while works the best, since it is a punishment that you can easily control to be well done (if they stand up or talk, the time starts counting again), and it doesn't interrupt the rest of the class. Push ups don't look like working so well for me, as some of the children don't know/don't want to do them in a proper way.

What other punishments do you use?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it really depends on how serious the case is... i usually opt for push ups... and if they arent doing them right just to spite me, i spite them back by doing something fun in class while making them still do pushups :P

i havnt done this to a student before but wall sit would be brutal if they are really really misbehaving... have them stand against a wall with their back touching and then bend their knees till it creates a 90 degree angle with their back still touching the wall... have them stay like that for a while and they will understand why its best to pay attention in class

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

well it really depends on how serious the case is... i usually opt for push ups... and if they arent doing them right just to spite me, i spite them back by doing something fun in class while making them still do pushups :P

This strategy works well, and I have used it in the past. When a student insists on misbehaving, sit him/her out, and then do something you know they don't want to miss out on.

Remember, though, once they get back into class, try to give the same student some positive notes to walk out on, just so they know you are not just picking on them.

I try not to punish....but I do "motivate" my students to behave properly. I have actually had kids mis-behave on purpose just to get "motivated" by me!!

I think kids (and adults) respond to positive attention better that negative too so harshness in the classroom is reserved for the more disruptive and flagrant misbehavior only. Patience is the key to teaching students how to conduct themselves whether 4 years old or 40.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We run the gambit from physical punishment(as in push ups, not actually smacking them or anything :P ) to actually temporarily and permanently demoting them... The philosophy is if you don't act like a student at your rank, you don't deserve your rank. Usually if they shape up and act more responsible, they get their rank back. But for repeat offenders, sometimes it's permanent and they have to go through everything again.

Edited by lordtariel

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Push-ups is what I use for anyone over the age of 5. If they do them poorly (and I know how well each student can perform), then they do them all over again. Occasionally I have students do wall sits, but this is only once every other year or so. I don't give them a time either. If they ask me how long, I tell them till I get tired. Its always less than 5 minutes though. With students under the age of 5, I give them time outs facing the wall.

As far as demoting students...We had one student who was a high rank who was being very rude to a lower rank. We made them switch belts for two weeks. At the end of two weeks, he was much more respectful to all of the students in the dojo, and answered the loudest and quickest with his yes ma'ams and sirs.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

As far as demoting students...We had one student who was a high rank who was being very rude to a lower rank. We made them switch belts for two weeks. At the end of two weeks, he was much more respectful to all of the students in the dojo, and answered the loudest and quickest with his yes ma'ams and sirs.

Nice touch! I will remember that one!

The trouble with punishments is the fact that parents can sometimes get really upset with you. It's hard enough facing a room full of screaming kids at the start of each lesson and also having to deal with the fact that some parents don't support you in disciplining them.

Sometimes also the onlooking parents chattering to each other or holding crying infants can be more disruptive to the class than the excited 5 year old students.

Just sayin'.

Any stepmum's out there? http://stepfamily.stepfamilyforum.com

The trouble with punishments is the fact that parents can sometimes get really upset with you. It's hard enough facing a room full of screaming kids at the start of each lesson and also having to deal with the fact that some parents don't support you in disciplining them.

I don't worry about whether they support the way I handle things. The parents need to understand how things are run, and what is expected of the kids while they are in class. If the kids don't act accordingly, there will be consequences and repercussions.

Usually, they bring the kids in to be taught or disciplined or whatnot, anyway. They should know what your actions will usually be, and they should accept that. Parents have to stop to realize that they are not the expert when it comes to managing a class--that is the instructor's job.

If the parent doesn't support me on how I handle the class, then they should probably go elsewhere. If we as instructors start worrying more about whether the students or parents like us or not, that is when standards begin to drop, and then we do all of the students, ourselves, and the arts, a disservice.

a problem i have is that since it is not my school, i can't be too harsh, as if i lose my instructor students he wouldnt be too happy, as most of his income comes from running the school...

but if i had my own school i know it would just be a kind of side thing, so like BM said... i wouldnt be too worried about the parents... its all a matter of whether you value the extra 50 buks a month enough to bend over backwards and take crap from little kids and their parents

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun