• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Felt good tonight, teaching the kids

I am currently doing orientations for 3 new kids at our school. I started them Monday, and it just felt like I was having a hard time with them. I actually went home and told my wife that I thought I was losing my touch. I always felt like I could teach kids very well, and this time I didn't.

Well, I had two of the kids in again on Wednesday, and it seemed like everything just clicked for me. I was getting ideas across to them, they were making visible improvements, and it just made me feel good; like I still can teach, you know!?! :P

I thought I would share it with everyone. If you have something similar, share it with me!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

wewt! congrats on still being able to teach ;)

probably the closest thing i could relate to would be teaching some people how to do heian yondan and then seeing them go to a tournament that weekend and place first in their divisions...

i say this because i have no luck with the little kids at our dojo... it just doesnt seem to work!

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

wewt! congrats on still being able to teach ;)

:lol: Thanks for that!

probably the closest thing i could relate to would be teaching some people how to do heian yondan and then seeing them go to a tournament that weekend and place first in their divisions...

You are right about that. It is always a good feeling when you see your students succeed in testing, tournaments, or even just in class, when it clicks for them. My favorite feeling of all is when we go to a testing at the organization HeadQuarters, and the students from our school perform better than the students from the Grandmaster's school, and most of the other schools around. It gives you a sense of pride.

i say this because i have no luck with the little kids at our dojo... it just doesnt seem to work!

Just be patient, and keep at it. Teaching kids takes a very special knack, and it can be one of the most rewarding things that you can do.

Don't use kids short term improvement as a gauge of success. Kids are very different to tech. One thing I have used is repetition. Don't move onto the next technique or whatever you are doing until they have an understadning of what you are teaching.

If it is the basics, like a block, make sure they can do it before moving on.

Katas are a little different. I start with the first technique, once they have the first one down, we move to #2 then back to #1 and 2 and when they are remembered, we move to #3 and so one.

I have left class many times thinking 'that class was a write-off' but really it wasen't because you are moving them forward, just at their own pace and not what you feel is their pace.

I love teaching Kids.

Repetition is key for children.

I got all emotional when I took 8 of my kids to a local tournament (the school that ran the tournament was a totally different style than Shaolin Kempo) and each kid got at least one trophy that day: (several other instructors also came up to me stating how impressed they were with this and that...)

2 - 1st place trophies

3 - 2nd place trophies

5 - 3rd place trophies

Each kid running around with their trophy.

Moments like this makes teaching kids 100% worth all of the time, effort, and patience needed.

Fear does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

Pain does not exist in this Dojo, does it! No Sensai!!!

hehe yes i love that too :P you will see a lil kid running around at a tournament weighed down by their medals and you stop them to say good job... just how happy they are makes spending the hours instructing them and bettering them so worth it :D

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun