• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving Kicking Technique and Power

chillindan

For balance, stand on one leg, and practice the kicks slowly, at about waist hieght. Then do it with the leg coming from the floor into the chamber position.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick update on my kicking. I went to class tonight and was sparring with the 5th Kyu's. I was getting comments like 'wow, your sparring has really improved in the last couple of weeks, especially your kicking!'

I have only been doing these exercises for, what 3 weeks now about 2 times a week in between classes and running. I have increased my stretching to around 5 times a week now though, and I have noticed I can:

1 - Get my kicks higher

2 - Employ better technique when performing my kicks, especially round kicks

3 - Get more strength into my kicks

Thanks to everyone for all oyur great advise on this thread.

Glad to hear that you are improving. Now, you may notice that your stretching may plateau after a time. That is ok, just keep working through it. When you get to that point, it may be time to adjust your stretching routine.

Glad to hear that you are improving. Now, you may notice that your stretching may plateau after a time. That is ok, just keep working through it. When you get to that point, it may be time to adjust your stretching routine.
I know my stretching in the splits is close to plateau. I can have my legs almost flat on the floor :brow:

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

I know my stretching in the splits is close to plateau. I can have my legs almost flat on the floor :brow:

Lucky you! :karate:

I am still noticing my stretching improving, but when it does plateau, what would you suggest changing? This is what I currently do:

straddle splits - hold for 20 secs x 3 increasing the stretch each time

whilst in the splits I stretch down to each foot holding for 20 secs x 3 again increasing the stretch each time

then i do seated groin stretches again holding for 20 secs x 3 increasing each time

finally I tuck one leg into my groin and stretch down to my foot on the other leg again holding for 20 secs x 3 on each leg

By the end of this I feel nice and loose and go into my kicking routine, which is based on what was recommended in this thread. Followed by going through each of my kicks (front kick, side kick and round kick) slow, medium and fast all times 10 reps.

This all takes around 30 minutes, give or take and I do this routine twice a week in addition to classes twice a week and twice weekly runs of around 5-6 miles (I stretch as described above before/after each session).

I am really keen to keep my improvement going so any more advise on how to maintain my improvement would be very welcome.

When you feel that you need to augment your stretching routine, you could start doing some proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) stretching. You could also do some active/passive stretching routines as well.

Basically, what you do is you have a partner stretch your leg up in a front kick position, with your foot on his shoulder. Then, you tell him to stand up until you say stop. Hold the stretch for around 20 seconds, and then, tell you partner, and you push down on your partner's shoulder with your leg. Push for about 5 seconds, release, and then have your partner raise your leg up higher, and hold for another 20 seconds. You will get an even deeper stretch this way. You can do this with the side kick as well.

There are other examples, these are just some off the top of my head. You can look up PNF and Active/Passive stretching on the net, and I am sure you will get some more exercises and results.

If you want to add some more pain to that routine, do this final step: after you push down, release, and your partner stretches you up more, instead of releasing the stretch, have your partner walk out from in under your leg, and you have to try to hold it up there as high as you can, for around 5 or 10 seconds. :brow:

Give it a try, and let me know what you think!

Another technical point you may want to look at, which may effect the combination you're doing in this particular kata, is make sure you're re-chambering correctly.

In most kicks the kicking foot should chamber at the supporting knee both before AND after the kick. As someone already pointed out, that doesn't mean you have to hold the chamber position but you should make sure that the kicking foot 'visits' the other knee on both the outward and return journeys. This will ensure that your kick is more stable.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

In most kicks the kicking foot should chamber at the supporting knee both before AND after the kick. As someone already pointed out, that doesn't mean you have to hold the chamber position but you should make sure that the kicking foot 'visits' the other knee on both the outward and return journeys. This will ensure that your kick is more stable.

Mike

This is a very good point, Mike. I have seen many practitioners do really fast, powerful kicks, but they neglect to re-chamber them, and the results are off-balanced, and often time, incomplete technique.

When you not only snap that kick out, but can lock it for a second, and then snap it back, quickly, it just looks really sharp.

This is a very good point, Mike. I have seen many practitioners do really fast, powerful kicks, but they neglect to re-chamber them, and the results are off-balanced, and often time, incomplete technique.

I have found it challenging to get my kids to do this, but I hold out hope that at some point they'll "get" it. They do it during drills, but they all lose it in kata.

:)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu