• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving Kicking Technique and Power

chillindan

Related to a point I made earlier in this thread - I think this re-chambering makes kicks look really good - by which I mean, controlled and with intent, during kata.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have been really trying to do the 'rechambering' thing and I have felt it makes a difference to the control I have during the execution of the kick. I have also seen the kata performed by different people (with different amounts of experience) and it always looks much better when it is performed this way. When people dont rechamber it kind of looks like they kick and then 'fall' forwards in an out of control manner.

I like to use the kick re-chamber as a time to set up the follow-up technique, which is usually a hand strike or block. When I rechamber the kick, I immediately chamber my arms for the following hand technique, and I am then able to perform the technique at the moment that my foot hits the ground, in a very controlled, and time, manner. I refer to this as hand-foot timing. Does anyone else call it that?

This is a very good point, Mike. I have seen many practitioners do really fast, powerful kicks, but they neglect to re-chamber them, and the results are off-balanced, and often time, incomplete technique.

I have found it challenging to get my kids to do this, but I hold out hope that at some point they'll "get" it. They do it during drills, but they all lose it in kata.

:)

With respect,

Sohan

Try this Sohan: have them do the form at your count, and every time they do a kick, make them hold the re-chamber position, until you give the next count, and then they set it down, and perform the following hand technique (if there is one) with the hand-foot timing. It should help them relate it to the forms better, help them to memorize the movement better.

I like to use the kick re-chamber as a time to set up the follow-up technique, which is usually a hand strike or block. When I rechamber the kick, I immediately chamber my arms for the following hand technique, and I am then able to perform the technique at the moment that my foot hits the ground, in a very controlled, and time, manner. I refer to this as hand-foot timing. Does anyone else call it that?

I simply call it timing, but yeah, same thing.

One of the pieces of logic I use to explain rechambering a kick is that a kick is a strike, just like a punch. You wouldn't throw a punch and leave the arm out and let it drop for multiple reasons including: 1) it gives you opponent something to attack or grab, 2) it creates a weaker guard position, and 3) it doesn't set you up for any kind of follow up.

These same three principles can be applied to a kick, however, with a kick you would also have to worry about that if you don't chamber and just let you foot fall, but you also have to worry about your balance on the way down. By rechambering your kick you get to bring it back down in a controlled manner rather than just letting it fall where it may and hope it doesn't slip on something--potentially putting you on the ground.

One of the pieces of logic I use to explain rechambering a kick is that a kick is a strike, just like a punch. You wouldn't throw a punch and leave the arm out and let it drop for multiple reasons including: 1) it gives you opponent something to attack or grab, 2) it creates a weaker guard position, and 3) it doesn't set you up for any kind of follow up.

These same three principles can be applied to a kick, however, with a kick you would also have to worry about that if you don't chamber and just let you foot fall, but you also have to worry about your balance on the way down. By rechambering your kick you get to bring it back down in a controlled manner rather than just letting it fall where it may and hope it doesn't slip on something--potentially putting you on the ground.

Bingo, bearich. Those are all important points in kicking technique. Very similar to the way I approach teaching them myself. :D

Didn't look at kicks that way :) Only been studying for 4 months now, but thanks for the insight. It really makes sense.

Not that I'm saying that I wasn't told to rechamber my foot after a kick, but this clears things up.

Thanks again.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

You are welcome! :karate:

I'm glad that it clarified things for you, Havoc88. Sometimes, I tend to ramble, and things just get murkier! :P

However, bearich has cleaned up for me a few times. :)

what about ankle weights? Would those help?

I would wait until you feel fairly confident in your kicking technique before using ankle weights. That way, when you do use them, you will benefit more from the training aspect, as opposed to the learning aspect.