• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Improving Kicking Technique and Power

chillindan

If you're performing a kick-punch combination, don't rush the transition from kick to punch. After you kick, rechamber and pause for just a second before you put your foot down and then punch. I've found that this helps to develop balance and a more controlled and decisive punch.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thats one of the things I have the most trouble. There is a bit where the kata goes kick/punch 3 times and I find my balance and control on these phases really difficult to master.

I understand you are supposed to complete the punch as you land from the kick, thereby transfering all the power from your body into the punch?

Its a difficult skill, but I suppose practice makes perfect.

If you're performing a kick-punch combination, don't rush the transition from kick to punch. After you kick, rechamber and pause for just a second before you put your foot down and then punch. I've found that this helps to develop balance and a more controlled and decisive punch.
Only while your learning. Once you become proficient, do them both as quickly as you can. No point leaving your leg out there for them to grab before you get a chance to punch them in the face.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Been trying these techniques a couple of times a week in between classes for around 2 weeks now. Even after this short time I have noticed an improvement in my kicking technique. I haven't tried to put it into kata taigyoko nidan yet, but even just practising the kicks from forward stance I have noticed I can get higher and with more precision.

Myth has good advise....practice, practice, practice. That aside, now, what to practice?

1. Flexibility is important, but it won't be of any use to you if you don't have corresponding leg strength to go along with it. Build strength as well. Stand next to a wall, and use it for balance. Chamber your kicking leg, and extend it slowy, by a count of 5, as high as you can. Hold for a count of 5. Rechamber the leg for a count of 5. Do this 5 times for each leg. It should make you want to scream and cry, if you get your leg high enough. Keep in mind, you may only be kicking waist level here, and that is ok. You want to build the muscle.

Man, I hate you.....you posted an exercise that really helps but hurts SO BAD.......(just kidding on the "hate" part :D :D )......seriously, I've been doing that exercise for about 2 weeks and I can REALLY tell a difference....Thank you for posting it......

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

Myth has good advise....practice, practice, practice. That aside, now, what to practice?

1. Flexibility is important, but it won't be of any use to you if you don't have corresponding leg strength to go along with it. Build strength as well. Stand next to a wall, and use it for balance. Chamber your kicking leg, and extend it slowy, by a count of 5, as high as you can. Hold for a count of 5. Rechamber the leg for a count of 5. Do this 5 times for each leg. It should make you want to scream and cry, if you get your leg high enough. Keep in mind, you may only be kicking waist level here, and that is ok. You want to build the muscle.

Man, I hate you.....you posted an exercise that really helps but hurts SO BAD.......(just kidding on the "hate" part :D :D )......seriously, I've been doing that exercise for about 2 weeks and I can REALLY tell a difference....Thank you for posting it......

Hey, no problem. You are welcome! I need to start doing it while I am at home again as well. It is great for burning those leg muscles. :D

Jiffy, I agree with you - when sparring or training for speed, snap it out and back as quick as possible. But when trying to train balance and stability, doing it slow is a help.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

These guys have all gave great advise.

Any technique needs a lot of practice to become effective with good form & power.

The point of kata I always teach my students is the more you work on speed the more your power & form will suffer, the more you work on form the more your speed will suffer, the more you work on power, the more your speed and form will suffer.

The key here is listening to your instructor at what they have to say and practice, pratice, practice.

At your rank, your are still very new to kata and your techniques will improve with time.

Good luck

I've been doing this now 2-3 times a week, in between classes and other training and have definitely noticed a marginal improvement in my front kick.

What I could do with now is some advice on round kicks. I have trouble keeping my balance when trying to execute this kick, in fact I find balance a problem on most of my kicks.

Anyone out there that can help?

Round house kick is one of the most difficult to do because you have to pivot, balance and stop the kick from being over extended. This kick will also come with practice. One thing to look out for is when yo kick, do not let your arms fan out for balance. This will become a habit which the body does for balance.

It will show up everywhere in your training (basics, sparring) and will become you enemy as in sparring oppoents will taje advantage of this opening and in basics, you will be critiqued over and over.

The only advice I can give is practice it like crazy and keep your knee up.