• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

chain weapons

little kicker

iv noticed in a lot of movies bike chains are used as weapons and them seem to have a kind of following with punks etc.

so heres my question in a real fight would they be any use?

and how would you use it? iv seen some ppl wrap it round there knuckles and punch (But surley that would hurt you just as much??) or use it as a flexiable bat is the only way i can describe it.lol

thanks lots

speed

agression

surprise

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most people use it for scare tactics than as a reliable weapon. But I think that was popularized by TV and film.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If I were to use one, I would use it in both of the ways that you described. TV has helped its populartiy, but I have heard of it being used on vehicles by angry people before.

A chain can be a highly effective weapon is used properly. Granted the image it has is mainly due to the entertainment industry, but do some research on flexible weapons.

Here are a couple links to some chain action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mnSMGBWO8N4

I tried to find some videos of flexible weapons being used in application but came up with nothing.

If you don't mind a little reading, check out "Flexible Weapons" by John Sanchez.

There's a weapon called a Suruchin that is used in Okinawa that involves a couple of rocks tied together and is swung around. So this idea is nothing new to the MA's. I do think its best to weigh the pros and cons of the weapon as every weapon has streingths and weeknesses. Id be best used at a mid range distance (approx 6-10 feet from you) and can hit with some reasonally hard force. Its also very hard to block. On the flipside it would be pretty hard to manage in close Proximity. Except for grapling moves it wouldn't be very effective in that case.

I'd be wore worried about the grim and grease coming offf the chain myself... :D No, but are far better flexible weapons. Rope dart, 9 section chain whip, 7 section chain whip. 3 section chain whip. meteor hammer, 3 section plum flower chain whip, nunchaku, 3 section staff, even a belt off you pants. And they don't leave oil marks all over the place too! :P

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

If I were to use a chain as a weapon, I'd just hold it at both ends and swing it around and deal a series of attacks. Probably attacks to the side or face would hurt the most.

Keep posting,

"The Leaf, Still Green, Must Someday Fall,

Such Grief, Such Joy, to Live at All."

--T.A. Barron

my friend was pretending to threaten me with his chain saying that he could knock me out by wrapping it around his knuckles, and guess what i said, I said "thats not all you can do my friend"... so I took his chain and just like Bruce Lee, (he is my Nunchaku Teacher or was to some people), I did the Nunchaku tricks all all from left to right and my friend got scared and stopped... :D

A drop of sweat spent in practice is a drop of blood saved in a battle.

A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.