• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper Side-kick form?

Hart

Just a side note, but I have seen side kick chambers that are perpendicular to the ground, and some that pick the leg up parallel, or close to parallel, with the ground. Which do you think you like better?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

im not quite sure i understand what you mean completly, but if its what i think it is, i chamber perpendicular (knee straight up as opposed to pointing sideways) this gives much more power IMO and allows for much more stability in no contact point sparring where you just need to get the kick in, so multiple kicks is a path that is commonly taken

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I have done both, and I feel that the parallel chamber send the heel in a more direct line to the target. It is really more about shifting the hips into postition at a different time, I guess.

i guess for me its more of an opinion from training lower belts... u find that if they chamber sideways they tend to snap out instead of thrusting, so ive always prefered chambering straight as it left you with basically no choice but to have at least decent form

I feel that both ways can bring about proper form. It is just a minor difference, much like whether you chamber your hand at your ribs or at your hip.

It depends on your purpose... In JKA styles, you always keep your back straight when doing side kicks for fast recovery and quick change in technique. For this, your supporting foot is at 90 degrees.

Other styles prefer more height. For this type of kick is commonly executed by leaning back and turning the foot 180 - or a variation between 90 - 180. This execution does not allow quick return of the kick in order to move to another position. Also, it is a weaker kick than a straight body 90 degree foot kick. With the 180 degree kick, the most effective return of kick to be effective is to rotate the body when returning the kick - however, you are very volunerable when executing.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I do the 180 degree pivot to help save my knees, as opposed to recovery time. I find that it does not stress my knees as much. As for high kicking, I don't lean back to kick high. If you kick high properly, you body will lean some naturally, as a result of the technique and body mechanics. However, leaning back intentionally to gain height to a kick is counter-productive, and can off balance you.

it is though a shortcut to height. It does cause bad form and lack of power, but if you are just using it for point sparring and have no intention other than trophies it works :P

also i need to work and trying to stand more vertically while still getting height in my kick as i tend to lean slightly too much for my liking. any thoughts on a good drill?

it is though a shortcut to height. It does cause bad form and lack of power, but if you are just using it for point sparring and have no intention other than trophies it works :P

also i need to work and trying to stand more vertically while still getting height in my kick as i tend to lean slightly too much for my liking. any thoughts on a good drill?

Here is a drill to help you gain some height:

1. Stand next to a wall.

2. Assume kicking chamber position, using wall for balance.

3. Kick out slowly, counting to 5, hold for 10, then rechamber, counting to 5.

4. After 5 reps on each side, start again.

5. When you extend the kick this time, hold for 10, then raise it as high as you can, really tensing up those muscles.

6. Make sure to stretch well. Kicking high is not just dependant on flexibility. It is a combination of leg strength and flexibility. You need both, and both are equally important.