• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You misunderstand. By San Shou environment, I meant a fighting format where people who train in other styles allshare the same limitations as you do, which is why I see it as a good testing ground. First and foremost, it is a place where you can practice basic fighting skills such as punching and kicking and throwing and sweeping. These things are near enough the same in all styles and even if they aren't identical, they are basic enough to not be hindered by wearing gloves. You don't have to train specifically for san shou rules but training for san shou gives you a good idea of how good your basics are. As the saying goes to imply, if your basics aren't to scratch, then it doesn't bode well for your non-basic training.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I enjoy watching SanShou matches. I think these fighting guidelines help set up some strong self defense skills.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 1 month later...

Though I haven't entered a sanshou competition yet, I spar under those rules in class, sometimes mma rules, and I must say, it teaches you something entirely different about yourself.

Because you add more elements of a real fight in it, you realise how hard it is to actually fight in real life. When I did Tae Kwon Do I always thought I could defeat 2 maybe even 3 people easily. After fighting under sanshou and MMA rules I now know, if I am faced with more than one attacker I should probably think twice or hit and run unless I have no other option.

But fighting another person and realising that take downs can put you in a bad situation in a split second really changes what you think about a fight.

I love it though. Being that dynamic in a fight is exciting

• 2 months later...

I like sanshou ....but.... if we are allowing punches , kicks and takedowns/throws....Why not continue the fight on the ground when someone falls?

I think this is between kick boxing and mma...

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• 1 month later...
I like sanshou ....but.... if we are allowing punches , kicks and takedowns/throws....Why not continue the fight on the ground when someone falls?

I think this is between kick boxing and mma...

It is between kickboxing and MMA and that's what makes it so good. https://www.sanda-mma.com keeps tournaments that have muay thai, Sanshou, grappling and mma on their cards. So you get a little of everything.

I like both MMA and Sanshou for the simple reason that MMA is the complete art in fighting, but sanshou is amore self dedfencec to me because you don't want to be on the grround in a strreet fight.

Kicking punching throwing sweeping are all you need. Maybe breaking a few bones as well standing submission style like shoot boxxing matches

I think Sanshou is great.

The Kung Fu school im attending now do have Sanshou classes on diferent days of the Kung Fu classes. But that doesn't mean that Kung Fu is a form class, because in the Kung Fu class you do have to spar as well, but not with the same rules of Sanshou mainly because in Kung Fu sparring don't use the boxing gloves so allows other techniques.

So, in the Kung Fu class, you learn the complete art ( conditioning, basics, drills, forms, sparring, meditation, weapons,etc..) and the Sanshou class is conditioning, drilling, sparring for competition.

• 4 weeks later...
I love the art of Sanshou and shoot boxing. Mostly sanshou because of the kickboxing and throws.

Has any one here have any expereince in it?

Unfortunately I dont have any experiance in SanShou, however I've actually been looking around my area alot for instruction.

Seems like a very interesting martial art.

Most of the time, schools that teach wushu have sanshou. Wushu has two parts, forms and sparring(sanshou). So theres probably wushu places around your area with intruction in sanshou.

• 6 months later...

I believe that I saw the word "Sanshou" translated as "San Chaio" in an issue of Black Belt magazine. If these are two spellings of the same style, then we are talking about the national grappling art of China. The Chinese military has a form of San Chaio that teaches 72 lethal fighting technqiues accoridng to the Black Belt magazine article. It was developed scientifically based on statistics that were gained on the outcome of battles conducted in controlled testing. Because the spleen is a common target, this style uses motions of the left hand to circle over the spleen regularly as a defensive cover to close the "gate" that would otherwise be open if the hand wasn't actively covering that area. The impression I got from the article is that common Chinese citizens try to fight San Chaio if they are ineperienced in a similiar way that American citizens try fighting like Western Boxers or Wrestlers if they have no experience. Thus, the concepts of fighting san chaio are evidently very widespread in China, just as Western Boxing concepts are commonly known in the United States.

First Grandmaster - Montgomery Style Karate; 12 year Practitioner - Bujinkan Style Ninjutsu; Isshinryu, Judo, Mang Chaun Kung Fu, Kempo