• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never experienced it for myself, but I have seen it. I love to watch the fights, and I like the throws. I think it would be a blast to learn.

I love the art of Sanshou and shoot boxing. Mostly sanshou because of the kickboxing and throws.

Has any one here have any expereince in it?

Unfortunately I dont have any experiance in SanShou, however I've actually been looking around my area alot for instruction.

Seems like a very interesting martial art.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 1 month later...

Well there isn't really a style of MA called Sanshou, rather it's a different set of rules for tournament matches that allow take downs. I have seen schools that offer Sanshou training though, and there certainly is a particular strategy and philosophy that goes along with Sanshou style fighting.

From what I hear, it came from the Chinese Sanda style, and was almost incorporated into a formalized style of its own in China, but I guess the Sanda guys got upset and put a stop to this. (Wikipedia describes a similar set of circumstances behind Sanshou's history)

From everything I've heard and read, it seems that Sanda was the practical strategy of fighting that was taught along (or within) various Kung Fu styles like Wing Chun and Wushu. Sanshou became a style used in military training in the early 20th century, and eventually became the sport we recognize today.

I had the chance to take a few classes at a Kung Fu school near me, and they actually separate Sanshou into a different class, while at the same time continuing to tie in Kung Fu principles and technique. It really was the fighting style, whereas the Kung Fu classes were all about forms and show. Strangely, not many of the Kung Fu students also attended the Sanshou class and vice-versa. I guess the instructor realized that some people wanted only to fight, while others wanted to only learn forms, so he separated the two in his classes.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Thanks for the explanations, Ottman. I didn't realize that it was a defined rules set, as opposed to a style all it's own. But, judging from your words, it really could become it's own style. If it is always kept seperate from the Kung Fu that it echos, it most likely will become it's own, soon.

so if it isn't a style in of itself, then what style is usually used under these sort of sparring setups?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

so if it isn't a style in of itself, then what style is usually used under these sort of sparring setups?

I think it is kind of like the way MMA competitions are set up. Usually, everyone there will fight standing, in the clinch, and on the ground. Sanshou mainly is stand up, clinching, and then throwing, and no ground fighting after the fall. Therefore, many of the fighters will not be concerned about the 'style' that they know, but will be concerned about using the techniques that have the highest percentage of success.

Right Bushido Man. I've actually seen K1 have Sanshou rules matches before, so it certainly doesn't matter what style you practice if you are interested in Sanshou. Just think of it like a kickboxing match, but work on takedowns and takedown defense and you can spar in Sanshou no problem.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...

While San Shou is just a set of rules, in the UK, some schools do teach/train specifically for the competitions as well, resulting in a class that is 100% San Shou Focussed. With that said, you can take any style and put it in a San Shou environment as in a sense, the format tests your basic skills of punching, kicking, throwing/tripping/sweeping and defending yourself. Put it this way, if all of your hard basic training doesn't make any sense in a safe environment where you are wearing gloves and pads, how good is your more advanced training going to be?

For the record, I've used Wing Chun techniques, Tai Chi techniques, Mantis Techniques and even the odd White Crane technique in a San Shou Environment. That is of course, ignoring that the four styles that I am versed in are all fundementally very, very similar.

traditional chinese saying:

speak much, wrong much

While San Shou is just a set of rules, in the UK, some schools do teach/train specifically for the competitions as well, resulting in a class that is 100% San Shou Focussed. With that said, you can take any style and put it in a San Shou environment as in a sense, the format tests your basic skills of punching, kicking, throwing/tripping/sweeping and defending yourself. Put it this way, if all of your hard basic training doesn't make any sense in a safe environment where you are wearing gloves and pads, how good is your more advanced training going to be?

For the record, I've used Wing Chun techniques, Tai Chi techniques, Mantis Techniques and even the odd White Crane technique in a San Shou Environment. That is of course, ignoring that the four styles that I am versed in are all fundementally very, very similar.

This kind of makes a paradox of the martial arts, doesn't it? On one hand, you have 'styles,' and on the other hand, you have training methods. You can adapt any style to different training methods, however, many feel that you end up altering the style completely in the end. I don't think this is the case, but there are some that would argue that it does.