• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dojo Requirements

TigerDude

We heard a few words of wisdom from our Sensie this week on what his requirements were for his students:

1. They have to know the kata - how to perform them, understand them, and know what the kata is teaching.

2. They have to know how to fight and defend themselves.

3. They have to be in good physical condition.

These are all very much in the Goju Ryu tradition.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

heh really good advice.. although it depends greatly on the varied age groups you have in your dojo..

in ours we have some really young kids so that cannot be expected of them, even some of our higher belts are no more than 12 or 13 (by higher belts i mean above blue coloured belts) so they cannot really be expected to understand these kinds of concepts or be able to truly defend themselves in the street... i know i for one am confidant in my ability to at least survive if not win most any fight, but know that regardless of trainin or not, could crush those kids in a heartbeat... that is one thing i dislike about training martial arts at a young age... children tend to think they are invincible and pick fights and things (of course its not really their fault they are just children) and one day it may lead to them being seriously injured....

one they get older though those are perfect requirements.. i know for our black belt test, they actually test you on all of those aspects to see if you have learned anything in your years of training or not.

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun