• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respect

When you take over a club, you need to take control right away. I had the same problem when I took over my sensei's club. Students ( usually younger) will see what they can get away with for the first while. If you let them get away with anything form the first class on, they will try for as much as they can get. Just keep to your game plan and everything will work out. Taking over a club at a junior rank will always be a challenge until you show them you can provide as much guidance as your sensei.

Chris

Sandan, FKSA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay in the update. Ive just been waiting for something to report. Well I believe that I am now starting to gain there respect. A while back we were stretching out and they were goofing off I told them to quit and as usuall they didn't listen so I doubled there usuall routine. Needless to say there was a lot of moaning and groaning. I know Im nowhere near having all there respect; but its a start. At least they know not to tick me off during stretches. :D

Once they know you mean business when it comes to disciplining unruly students, things will get better in a hurry. They're probably just pushing their boundaries to see what they can get away with. Keep consistent.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 months later...

to be perfectly honest, push ups do close to nothing, and same with alot of other physical challenges cuz they dont do the right anyway. but as far as repremanding kids sitting in the coner and facing the wall is the best cuz it embarasses them and that makes them learn cuz it sticks in their mind. but if it was me, i would let them fail, they'll learn their lesson. good luck.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

hmm i had this same problem a while back. I started teaching when i was 15, and alot of the students didnt like to show the respect becuase- a. I was a fellow classmate for many years b. the adults didnt like the fact that a young guy was directing them and fixing them. Well long story short, after 4 years now i have come to realize many things about martial arts respect.

1. I was big on the whole- " you better act right or ill give you pushups." never worked... till i gave them pushups. Also if there was a student being rude and disrespectful fine, have them sit and watch the others do something fun, or better yet praise the good students

2. set the example. dont just demand respect on the mat, earn it on/off the mat by the way you act and converse with others.

3. Set the line between friend and student/teacher. to close a friendship with kids and they wil try to take advantage of you.

BTW how old are you?

hope this helps-

-Kevin

Something else that really pulls them up short is to take their belt away.

"You've been here a while, and if you're going to act like a beginner student, you're going to wear a beginner belt."

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing, they can earn the belt back by showing improvement.

Also, don't let them test if they're pulling garbage on you. This might seem kind of cruel, but there's responsibility involved with achieving higher levels, not just demonstration of skills. These sort of threats really should be a last resort, but don't be afraid of them.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Something else that really pulls them up short is to take their belt away.

"You've been here a while, and if you're going to act like a beginner student, you're going to wear a beginner belt."

It doesn't have to be a permanent thing, they can earn the belt back by showing improvement.

I agree. This can shape them up quick.