• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Rising Kick and Vertical Kick

I primarily study Karate which has less emphasis on kicks than TKD. I was fortunate enough to take TKD in college under a very good institutor. I love kicking and have a deep respect for TKD.

My Question for you more experienced kickers:

Rising Kick and Vertical Kick, what are they? I have seen a Rising Kick before and it looks very similar to an Axe Kick but I am unsure of its detailed execution. I also heard that the Vertical Kick involves the blade of the foot. Please enlighten me.

…Many Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe what you are describing are primarily straight-legged kicks used for stretching the legs. The rising kick is a front stretch kick, and the vertical kick, I believe, is a side stretch kick.

I could be wrong, and it could be that my style is devoid of these kicks as well. However, this is what they sound like to me.

I agree - rising kick is a stretch that we use with the emphasis on the upswing-on axe kick the emphasis is on the down swing, and in my experience verticle kick is just a side kick done straight up which requires amazing flexibility.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Rising Kick and Vertical Kick, what are they?

As mentioned, the rising "kick" isn't a kick at all, but more a stretching exercise. Axe kick striking point is the foot heel as the leg comes back down. I guess if one were flexible enough they could execute a rising kick, striking with the ball of the foot, targetting someone's face who has them in a headlock or something. :o

Vertical kick sounds like that about which Nurse is talking. Again flexibility, as well as muscle conditioning, would have to be phenominal. I've seen kids with great balance and mobility that, theoretically, could execute a vertical kick. But, they just don't have the strength to lift that leg up in the air. Passive vs. active flexibility, I think it's called.

TANG SOO!