• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My school has a demo coming up, a big charity thing we do each year when we have a black belt test - we call it a "black belt extravaganza"...well, anyway - at these demo things i usually perform a pattern with my three brothers who also study at our school (kind of like a freak show :razz:) , but they can't make it this year so I was wondering what break I should do. Only a select few get to break at the demo, and I get to mainly because I am too big for the kids demo and too young to "fit in" to the adult one, and my instructor said I can break and maybe do a pattern, too....

To make a long, rambling story short...what break should I do!? I'm 14, I can kick VERY high, but 360 back kicks are NOT my thing, so no recommendations for those. My spinning hook kick also is a little feeble, so none of those either, k?

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Oh lol. I know what board breaking is :grin: Not that I've tried it yet. I'm fairly new to the martial arts. Sorry if I ask stupid questions for a while :up:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

Pacificshore had a very good suggestion...I'd quote but I'm lazy since I just woke up :sleep: <---- inaccurate since I am awake...how come there's no yawn smiley? :lol:

Kicking high = flexibility, as you know. Try adding a split to the end of your form! Even if the last move doesn't quite flow to a split, you can always add something that does work.

Since you'll be on your own, you'll really have to shine. I'm a member of my school's demo team, so I know how this goes :weirdlook:

Here's some tips--some may be obvious, some not:

1. yell as loud as you can

2. low stances

3. hold your strikes. That means, that on any move that there is a yell, hold it for extra long.

4. hold your kicks for a split second. much flashier

5. look like you're mad. Even if you're not, it's a great effect.

And finally, one of the most important:

6. pose. Pause EVERY move for just a split second, as if you're waiting for someone to take a picture of you. You wouldn't believe how much crisper this can make a form look.

Hope that helps! good luck!!!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I just finished my demo about 9 hours ago. Do a lot of high kicks. Umm.. machine gun kicks are usually crowd pleasers. Acrobatics are always good as well. Adding some music to it could make it more flashy. I used "One Step Closer" by Linkin Park for mine. Im not sure what style this is for, but if it involves weapons, then by all means, USE THEM. Either pause each of your motions or do them all VERY quickly (but on that, you have to add more to it to get more time) Uhh... you could try breaking some bricks. The more, the better. Oh yeah! Breaking a board with a 540 kick is a great addition to any demo. I saw the Korean Tigers do it once. Have someone hit you with a 1"x1" board or two(that is only cool when the board actually breaks. lol). Breaking things that are on fire looks cool. Some popular things to break are coconuts, boards, bricks, tiles, etc. Choreographing a fight could be cool as well. When is the demo? I can probably get some more ideas for ya. Im kinda tired now and cant think.

Try doing an ax kick or something. JUst make sure the person holding the board has his face out of the way. People are impressed with high ax kicks. Do that or a hand technique like a ridge hand. If you do that people will think you're nuts...

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Withers, I noticed that, too. People in my school thought I was crazy because I wanted to break with a ridge hand. Even my instructor. Why is everyone affraid of breaking with a ridge hand?

So, I used the excuse "I did it before in my other school." (which was true) hehehehehe It worked. He let me :grin:

Laurie F