• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am sure that in people with the same skill , the stronger/heavy will win.

But...If you are an excelente skilled guy , but weight 170 lbs and wrestle against a strong muscular 260 lbs , you will have a difficult issue no matter if he doesn´t have a lot of technique.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grapple with my karate sensei sometimes, there are some factors that i have to deal with ,

Technique

Stamina

strenght

unorthodox moves

i normally loose in around 70% the fights( we spare around 15 min or when i feel like dying whichever happens first), but i rearly loose the first fight and i am allways do the first throw, i become defensive after around 3 min. of ground fighting even when i am attacking he turns the table, he is way ahead of me in stamina and strenght although i can run a 3 miles with no problem but i just can't keep up with him.

so to me stamina and strenght are important after first 2-3 min, if you can finish the job by your good technique quickly you will be fine.

Good technique requires less energy to perform. It's not uncommon in an acadamy to see grappling matches last upward of an hour. Neither person is necessarily exhausted afterward. This doesn't mean they weren't trying, just that they performed their movements at the proper time and didn't try to fight against strength or weight.

No offense to Karate or any other standing system, but it's impossible to understand how effective grappling systems are until doing it for a while under a qualified isntructor. I trained for 19 years before starting BJJ. I always thought I had good techniqe. I trained under a 7th dan in JJJ. But it just isn't the same.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

You need to train with good coaches and instructors. Work your way through the ametur fights in your area. Apply for professional status according to your state laws and what ever pro leagues are in your state. Then you need to have a great fight record and keep working your way up. It would need to become a job for you. Working out 2 or three times a day 6 days a week. The pay sucks until you can make it big. Even then, it's not great unless you are a title contender.

You need to train with good coaches and instructors. Work your way through the ametur fights in your area. Apply for professional status according to your state laws and what ever pro leagues are in your state. Then you need to have a great fight record and keep working your way up. It would need to become a job for you. Working out 2 or three times a day 6 days a week. The pay sucks until you can make it big. Even then, it's not great unless you are a title contender.

I agree with ps1. It would be a long, hard road.

(I think I hear the Rocky theme playing faintly in the background! :karate: )

If you want to get into MMA, you need to study just that. A mixture of martial arts. Make sure the system of jiujitsu you study is brazilian, wrestlers often have success in MMA as well. For standing arts I would suggest Muay Thai. Wrestling or Judo will give you an excellent feel for learning throws/takedowns. You will not get by for very long by learning just one art in MMA.

A very brief synopsis of systems I study are listed under my name.

YEAH IM LEARNING BJJ MY TEACHER IS MASTER PABLO POPOVITCH. IHOPE U A REMEMBER THIS NAME JOSE CATRO (THATS ME) CAUSE IM GOING TO THE UFC IM GANA BE THE NEXT 175LB CHAMPION!!

Well, best of luck to you! :karate: