• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

UFC, or PrideFC?

Which do you prefer to watch? Why? Do you think one of the organizations has better fighters than the other? Which one has the rule set you prefer?

I have been partial to the UFC lately, as it is the one I get to watch the most. However, there are some excellent fighters in Pride as well, and I would love to see some inter-organizational competition.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think they both have rules I like and don't like.

For example, UFC allows elbow ground and pound, but no stomps, knees and kicks to the head of a downed opponent, etc. Pride is opposite.

I don't particularly prefer one or the other. I kind of like the Octagon better because I've seen people fall out of the rings in Japan.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I heard that the UFC actually has a patent or copyright on the Octogan, so you won't see other organizations using it. They may use square cages, but no octogan.

They're both pretty good, but i'd have to go with Pride because UFC gets old to me, everyone trains in Muay Thai and Jujitsu mostly, also boxing. pride has more variety for me

From what I saw, the Pride fighters have pretty much the same training focus.

I prefer UFC rather than Pride FC. The main reason is that Pride FC uses a boxing ring and I hate the fact that if the fighters are by the ropes that the ref stands them up and puts them back in the same position at the middle of the ring. For some reason that's a big issue for me. Plus, UFC puts fights on cable whereas all Pride FC events are on Pay-Per-View so I don't get to see it. I used to watch some Pride FC when I had a membership with Netflix but now I'm at school with no job so I can't afford Netflix and the cable in the dorms doesn't allow for us to order Pay-Per-View, so I basically get by with Ultimate Fight Night on Thursdays and then the re-run of that weeks Ultimate Fighter on Saturday.

yes, the UFC has a registered trademark on the octagon... Actually on the word octagon Refering to the 8 sided cage they use. But, the Nevada State Athletic Commision (basically the rules for MMA) require a cage of at least 8 sides to be used... so, yeah, you can use the 8 sided cage, just not call it 'the octagon' it is 'an octagon' not 'the octagon' other than that, you can use it.

Or you can pull a strikeforce and use a circular cage ;)

• 1 month later...

I agree with alot of the points above, but one thing that got left out is "Yellow cards" they use in Pride. A yellow card is something you get for inactivity or a foul (hitting the groin on purpose, using elbows). If you get a yellow card they deduct money from you fighters purse. This is ment to force fighters to stay active and not stall.

Sounds good right? Maybe....

You get exciting fights and I think you LOOK like a better caliber fighter because your staying busy, problem is some fighters start to worry about losing there money, start staying busy but getting sloppy("Rampage" Jackson is a great example)

BUT on the other hand UFC has no incentive for staying active other than standing up stalling grapplers, this makes for very boring fights sometimes (i.e. Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson,Andrei Arlovski 3)

IMHO Im a UFC fan before im a Pride fan because I like elbows, but if a good Pride event came on, I would sit and enjoy it bacause Im an MMA fan first and a UFC/Pride fan second.

There is no teacher but the enemy.