• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hello im thining about starting bjj or jj. and i was wondering what the pros and cons of each are and what if any difference is there between what you learn in class and what you do in a tournment. also maby could you explain, give me a link, or title of book about the basics of both

thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well in your title of the post you say Judo while in the post you say jj which I'd assume you meant judo but did jujutsu.

Judo is a sport version of jujutsu. The sport is mainly throws with a few submissions. You try to get your openent on the ground (on their back) from a throw for points and then you get extra points if you are able to lock in a submission. The thing I've heard about Judoka (those who practice Judo), is they are more explosive when doing their submissions because in competition if they don't get the submissions rather quickly the ref stands the two back up.

BJJ has more submissions than Judo and is basically a ground art. BJJ focuses a lot on position and dominance in positioning. I haven't seen or heard about competitions for BJJ, so I can't help you there.

I've read articles in martial arts magazines that have said that for the best results one should crosstrain in Judo and BJJ as the arts complement each other well.

Here are links:

Here's a link about BJJ: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_jiu-jitsu

and here's a link about Judo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo

Zapatista pretty much summed it up, as far as the two styles go. Judoka usually have slightly better throwing and stand-up skills, and BJJ likes the ground and positioning. Both would be good.

Here are some books to look into:

BJJ: Brazilain JuiJitsu: Theory and Technique I think by Renzo and Roylier Gracie.

Judo: Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano.

BJJ: Brazilain JuiJitsu: Theory and Technique I think by Renzo and Roylier Gracie.

This is correct. However, as it has been mentioned BJJ's focus is primarily on ground work. Some of the self-defense this book shows for standing defense applications will either get you killed in an actual fight or are just plain stupid. I would rely on your judo training for the stand up aspect instead.

This is correct. However, as it has been mentioned BJJ's focus is primarily on ground work. Some of the self-defense this book shows for standing defense applications will either get you killed in an actual fight or are just plain stupid. I would rely on your judo training for the stand up aspect instead.

There is a more self-defense related book out there, called Brazilian JuiJitsu Self-Defense Techniques, written by Charles and Royce Gracie. Are you thinking of this book?

There is a more self-defense related book out there, called Brazilian JuiJitsu Self-Defense Techniques, written by Charles and Royce Gracie. Are you thinking of this book?

Nope, same book as mentioned earlier. I'll go through the book tonight after class and pick out a few examples of the ones I have issues with.

Nope, same book as mentioned earlier. I'll go through the book tonight after class and pick out a few examples of the ones I have issues with.

Here are some examples of some of the issues I have with the standing self-defense of listed in that book. However, let me preface this by saying that this only is directed as at the standing self-defense listed in the book. The groundwork is superb as it is the main focus of BJJ

My biggest issue is that in all the self-defense methods, such as Same Side Single-handed wrist grab (opponents palm to the backside of your fist) [Pg. 40], Single-Handed Lapel Grab [Pg. 48], and others, have no initial threat of violence against the defender past the initial grab or attack (basically no follow through on behalf of the attacker).

Same Side Single-handed wrist grab (opponents palm facing your palm) [Pg. 42]

Self-defense listed: Yank your hand out your opponents weak portion of the hold

My issue with this: Opponent is reaching over your arm and grabbing the soft side of your arm. I have never seen this happen in a real combat situation--ever. I highly doubt this would ever happen. Then there's the whole issue of your opponent never making any kind of follow up attack past the initial grab.

Two-handed wrist grab (opponents grabs your arm with both of his hands) [Pg. 44]

Self-defense listed: Reach in between your opponents hands, grab your hand and pull up.

My issue with this: When you grab, you're committing yourself to an action. Your opponent has committed both his arms to your one arm. Why bother trying to free your one arm, just use your free arm to beat your opponent? Just common sense there.

All defenses against standing head locks (pgs. 52, 198, & 200) show the defender being put in a headlock that isn't even applied tightly. Too much room to move. Opponent is not applying any force to headlock.

Defense against the Front-Thrusting Kick [Pg. 60]

Self-defense listed: When oppone begins to fire kick, slide back out of range, cup your hands and under the kick and catch the foot in your cupped hands as the foot is retracted. After establishing control, proceed to lift up vertically.

My issue with this: If you slide back from a thrusting kick while it's in progress, what's to keep your opponent from thrusting forward again or even retracting at all. You're sliding back you're already committing your body to moving directly backwards, any contact from your opponents foot is only going to add to the force your applying to yourself and throw yourself off balance by the sudden increase in mass applied.

I could go on, but I think you understand my point. For groundwork this book would be an excellent for anyone, I even utilize it. However, for stand up, definately look elsewhere (like the Judo you're looking at).

I see your points, bearich. When I see any self-defense listed in any book, I take it with a grain of salt. Besides, you can play the "what if" game with just about any scenario.

I agree with Bearich for the most part. We practice front and side wrist escapes in Wado but our techniques are a good bit different from the ones described in that book. Our Sensei once mentioned that it's highly unlikely anyone will ever grab you by the wrist unless you're a woman in which case it happens a lot. For some reason, men who abuse women like to grab them by the wrist and try to drag them away. Any man who tries that on a woman (or man for that matter) who's well trained in Wado is likely to end up with a broken leg!