• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Sparring Session

Orion

Sweet videos. I thought the first one was a better and more technique driven match though. The second seemed to have a little more slop. That said, they would all destroy me at that game:) I'm not bad...but I know my limits.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet videos. I thought the first one was a better and more technique driven match though. The second seemed to have a little more slop. That said, they would all destroy me at that game:) I'm not bad...but I know my limits.

in the first match the level of two karate kata was almost huge, the young karateka from Egypt lost 4 point on takedowns easily, same thing happend in the second match but resulted in no points since the karateka from Iran knew exactly how to control the opponents hands and arms when he went down. in the first match the winner from Estonia was really good in using takdowns.

the second match was closer, i posted it for very straight forward points, pushing down the opponent's front hand, moveing in off line and reverse punch resulted in 3 points,2 in attack and 1 in counter, also the low level reverse punch that he did twice on his knees resulted in 1 point.

Bushido, have you got any examples of drills/training that I can do, in between classes to improve?

One of the best things that you can do is some partner drilling, where your partner throws the technique that you have trouble blocking, and then practice block-and-counter, and counter drills. Start out at around half-speed, so that you get used to seeing what the telegraphs of the technique are, and then, when you are more comfortable with it, start speeding up the drill. Eventually, you will get to where you can do the counters spontaneously while sparring.

The best block is not to be there. Keep moving and try to stay out of their reach. The more you spare the faster you will block. Soon you will be blocking without even thinking about it.

The great thing is that you see your weaknesses and want to work on them. Some students in our dojo never seem to realize their weaknesses, even when we point them out to them. Learning your weaknesses is the best part of sparring. It will make you a better fighter.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as your feet go, they make sparring shoes now that your instructors may let you wear.

For defense, move more and bob your head to the sides. Try smaller blocks that deflect rather than outright block your opponent's punches and kicks. You won't have to move your limbs as much away from your basic fighting stance.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

As far as your feet go, they make sparring shoes now that your instructors may let you wear.

For defense, move more and bob your head to the sides. Try smaller blocks that deflect rather than outright block your opponent's punches and kicks. You won't have to move your limbs as much away from your basic fighting stance.

It is draining absorbing blows with blocks, and the movement used to block (unless it is part of a counter attack sequence) could be used to strike instead. I will go with the previous two posters and say that the best thing for your opponent to encounter is not your arm, but the air. It's not that great for balance, but I've found that by just tilting your head back you can usually get just right out of reach (if your head is the target). Don't forget to move left and right as well!

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

It is draining absorbing blows with blocks, and the movement used to block (unless it is part of a counter attack sequence) could be used to strike instead. I will go with the previous two posters and say that the best thing for your opponent to encounter is not your arm, but the air. It's not that great for balance, but I've found that by just tilting your head back you can usually get just right out of reach (if your head is the target). Don't forget to move left and right as well!

I am a big proponent of avoiding an attack while gaining ground on your opponent. I so often see people sparring who will block and move backwards at the same time. Although they stop the attack, all they have done is moved backwards, allowing the opponent to keep coming forward. The best way I have found to get around this is to block and side step at the same time, or just side step. This way, you avoid attack, and gain an advantage toward your opponent, putting you in position to counter-attack. Bob and weave is good for this as well.

• 4 weeks later...

start running on your road in your bare feet because of the rocks your feet will get tougher

the best fight is one that doesnt happen