• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Sparring Session

Orion

Thanks for all the tips, it wasn't so much the stepping, but more on the kicks and twisting the supporting foot to get the extra distance and make the technique move powerful etc. Its now 3 days after and my feet aren't hurting now and my hips are allowing me to walk again. The missus who did it as well loved it and she has some really impressive bruises. I'm quite lucky and don't bruise

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres a tip for all women MA practioners (sorry is that sexist??). Do not get a pedicure done - last time I did I went bottom over head trying to do a mawashegeri against my sparring partner. Possibly amusing for anyone watching...not so for me on the floor!!

Orion you will soon bounce back - am sure of it. And if anything knowing you your determination to succeed will push you through. Keep at it :)

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Thanks and why is it only a tip for women men can have pedicure's as well.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I graded to 8th kyu a couple of weeks ago and did my first sparring on tuesday. Although it was non contact it was a good learning experience as I was sparring with blue belt (5th kyu) karateka. I really enjoyed it and found that although we practise the basics week, week out, when you come to spar it is whole different ball game as I froze like a rabbit in the headlights.

Still I learned a lot about defence!

Be sure not to keep your guard up too high or you will leave this area open. The rib cage is a favourite area for points.

Yeah apart from your feet as they will tuffen up, what Sandan said is also vital, thts also depending on how you hold your guard, everyone in goju ryu that i have trained with always keep their elbows in and focus more on the hips to excute the punches and kicks.

Osu

• 3 weeks later...

Had another sparring session tonight, but found people are still getting through my guard, sometimes all to easily.

What happens is they through a dummy punch, then a dummy front kick to get my attention, then they come straight through the middle before I can get my guard back up after blocking the kick.

I find that I am just not quick enough to block the kick and then block the punch, any suggestions?

This is one of the problems with no-contact sparring. If it isn't going to make contact, then why block it?

Aside from that, you just have to watch what is thrown, and what you need to block. It takes time.

This is one of the problems with no-contact sparring. If it isn't going to make contact, then why block it?

Aside from that, you just have to watch what is thrown, and what you need to block. It takes time.

Very good points ,

see these two final matches from last year world karate championships,

+80kg Stonia VS Egypt

-75kg Iran VS Spain

there are great lessons in these two matches if you look closely.