• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First Sparring Session

Orion

I had my first ever attempt at sparring on sunday, it was excellent fun and i learn't quite a bit, especially don't leave your rib cage open when your sparring against a black belt.

However I am now feeling the pain, not from been punched and kicked but sparring bear foot on a horrible floor and have bad blisters and friction burn. Is there anything I can do to toughen my feet up?

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bushido, I just wish i'd known that before, I did quite well at defence but he came in will some impressive kicks. Held my own against a brown belt.

Hi havoc

It does come in time, quite worrying when you first do it. I thought I was quite good against the brown but when I got slaughtered by the black belt I knew I had miles to go.

Regards

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Ah mat burns, I remember them well and still get them from time to time. Sometimes it helps to bandage then tape them while working out if they're really bad. As bushido said, they'll get better in time. Also have a look at how you're stepping when sparring. I found for a while that my back foot tended to slide more on it's inside edge when stepping and that caused a lot of burns untill I corrected it.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I don't know if Shotokan use's what we call "body change" technique's, but if you do, try stepping more into your stance (not unlike kata) instead of sliding into it. As a novice to sparring, my guess is that your moving backwards a lot when your defending (not fact, just a guess). Practice stepping side to side with your forward foot (whichever direction you may be stepping), then bringing your back foot around behind it (ensure your stepping, not sliding....sliding is slower, and hurts your feet). This will take you away from an attack, and will help keep you from sliding on the mats, as it puts you into a solid stance instead of an off balance one (which is when you start dragging your feet). With body change it is also possible to circle your opponent as you fight as well, keeping you in the ring, and outside of your opponent's power shots.

Feet toughen in time. Mind you, there will still be blisters. About 2 years into training, I went from hardwood floor to mats and started twisting my toes to the side. Had to start using tape.

TANG SOO!

I had my first ever attempt at sparring on sunday, it was excellent fun and i learn't quite a bit, especially don't leave your rib cage open when your sparring against a black belt.

hehehe, yes, keep that elbow in. Good to hear you had a good time.

However I am now feeling the pain, not from been punched and kicked but sparring bear foot on a horrible floor and have bad blisters and friction burn. Is there anything I can do to toughen my feet up?
Do it more often, that's it. As mentioned, this will get better over time.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

My first official sparring session was against my sensei. My sensei has a very calm, stone face. It was not angry or anything - instead it was very focused. Quite intimidating.

For me the pain came after, and it was also the first day I really began to appreciate Tiger Balm.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu