• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts that have no katas

I've been wanting to start a martial art for awhile and I'm going to join some people on my school's campus in doing BJJ. I'm interested in grappling arts but don't know any place near school that offers them (at a reasonable price) and next summer I'm planning to do Judo through the park district that I live in when I'm at my mom's house. I'd also like to do submission/grappling contests eventually. I also want to be a well rounded fighter so I can defend myself if need be.

Here's the problem. I have issues with katas, I just want to learn striking without having to memorize katas (I have memory impairment issues too but I'm not sure how that will affect my martial arts training). As far as I know there aren't many striking arts that don't have katas, and they aren't all just striking. From what I know there is: boxing/western kickboxing/muay thai, krav maga, pankration, and that's all I know.

Can you all recommend a striking art (or combined art) for me? Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Your best bet would be to go with a MMA because usually they don't bother with kata. Judo's a great art, but can be pretty harsh on your body if you stick with it for a long time. And actually, Judo does have kata, but you rarely see it done.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
well you need katas, but chinese or korean martial arts call them forms, so , do one of them, but karate or taekwondo is the best!!!!!

katas are very important but are not needed, american boxing, kickboxing, and the form of jujutsu i take do not have katas but are all effective arts. also i wouldnt consider tae kwon do the best art, its very good but not the best, the reason for this is tae kwon do does not teach enough effective grappling or ground fighting (where 90% of fights end up) there really is no such thing as the best art.

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

if ur looking for something without katas then boxing or kickboxing would definitely be a good choice, muay thai is good also but the muay thai i take has katas

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"