Dating "in-school"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fiance and I constantly get asked why our relationship is so good...

I always say most important is a good sense of humor and at least 4 hours a week to beat the crap out of each other :)

Also sharing hobbies is fun and helps us have similar goals and values ;)

I kind of agree here. I met my wife at TKD classes, and it has been great. However, I recently read an article in TKD Times that talked about the negative affects of dating in-school. The article brought out several examples of how some schools fell apart. It can be a devastating thing, because when people get hurt, they like to get revenge.

Bushido Man, do you ever spar with your wife? That sounds very cool. My wife is more of a pacifist - and married to a carrier pilot! :roll:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

We would be more willing to spar at home, where we can laugh and giggle about it and stuff. Once the instructor was aware that we were dating, he paired us up less and less.

My wife has been out of TKD for a while now, with having our son, going to college, etc. However, she would go back, given some time. When we have time, we work together at home.

My wife started training at a club i used to goto and got pregnant, she had to leave. At our club one of the lads married a fellow student, she got pregnant, so she had to stop training. Our instructors wife got pregnant she had to leave, assistant instructors wife got pregnant she had to leave(gasping for breath).

Can you see where this is leading -LOL- maybe our club is a breeding ground for elite dragons of the future. Since all this as happened though my wife wont go 100 feet of a martial arts class :) so maybe a good thing for me :brow:

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

Can you see where this is leading -LOL- maybe our club is a breeding ground for elite dragons of the future.
:lol: :lol:

I saw that one coming. One of the offices I had under me in a previous was like that.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 3 months later...

One of our Instructors considered his classes to be his own personal dating pool. Last time I checked, he was on his 3rd divorce. Nuff said.

I think any Instructor with any credibility will enforce a "no dating" rule for class. It just lowers the professionalism to allow students to date, and takes away the concentration you need. How can you be professional and maintain concentration when you're thinking about what you and the girl across from you are going to do after class?

I know emotions happen, but you just have to put emotions aside and be professional. Persoanlly, I looked at women in class like sisters-it just didn't feel right to want to date them. What you do is, you take the lessons you learn in class about socializing and apply them out of class. There are six billion people in the world. Why do you need to focus on the women in your class?

There is no martial arts without philosophy.

I follow the same rule at the Dojo as I do at work. "don't dip your pen in the company ink". It keeps things simple and above board.

"Not every tiger will pounce, but every tiger may!"

K.Mabon

United States Combat Martial Arts Association International

One of our Instructors considered his classes to be his own personal dating pool. Last time I checked, he was on his 3rd divorce. Nuff said.

I think any Instructor with any credibility will enforce a "no dating" rule for class. It just lowers the professionalism to allow students to date, and takes away the concentration you need. How can you be professional and maintain concentration when you're thinking about what you and the girl across from you are going to do after class?

I know emotions happen, but you just have to put emotions aside and be professional. Persoanlly, I looked at women in class like sisters-it just didn't feel right to want to date them. What you do is, you take the lessons you learn in class about socializing and apply them out of class. There are six billion people in the world. Why do you need to focus on the women in your class?

Question- what if a couple comes in to train together?

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

A couple coming in together is different. Their relationship has already been established. Not that different than couples who take up running or another sport together. The problem I have is when students date people they meet in class. You are not there to date other students. The martial arts atmospere is very different than any other physical activity, requiring a focus that other sports simply don't require.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.