• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating "in-school"

My sensei made a rule that if two students wish to date within the dojo they must speak not only with him, but possibly with a couple other instructors too. He has a set of rules for them to follow and everything so the dojo won't be in a heap of chaos if the two happen to break-up. But I agree with what a some of the others have said, it all depends on maturity.

-Protagonist

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I agree. I think dating should be kept to a minimum around the dojo, both students and instructors. I dated this one guy from my school when I was 16 and he turned out to be a total jerk and things between us were just awkward after that. Though I did hit significantly harder in sparring class, lol ;)

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

• 1 month later...

my two best friends in the dojo date...and then went through a pretty tough breakup. They both tried to prentend that everything was alright during class, like it never happened, but the first few weeks were hard because they wouldn't hang out with eachother and it was like i had to choose between friends. It was really akward, and it was hard on both of them.

But at the same time my instructor married a student and they have been happily married for a few years now.

So i don't really know what my veiws are. I think they are okay, as long as you are strong enough to continue your training normaly even if a break-up occurs.

"good enough is the enemy of excellence"

Shodan Goju Ryu karate-do under Sensei Gene Villa

• 3 weeks later...
I guess it depends on your priorities. If you really want to find someone and that someone shares the same interest as you - i.e., martial arts - then grow up and go out with them! Hmmm, what's more important, finding the love of your life or doing martial arts? Uhhh, let me guess... :roll:

Man I sound old. But that's the problem with relationships today; they're penciled into peoples' schedules between work and play:

• 6:00 - Dinner
  • 7:00 - Martial arts
  • 7:15 - Fall in love
  • 7:45 - Sparring
  • 8:00 - Go home

No dis, but who goes to Dojo for 15 min then spends 30 min falling in love?

Destined To Bring Light

I think that this really depends on the couple. I've dated people in my martial arts classes, broken up, and gotten along just fine. I'm now engaged to my instructor and actually, the guy he teaches with is married to another instructor.

Of course, that isn't always the way that it works :)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Ok so here I go proof you shouldnt even date fellow students. Just split up with someone, he has since pretty much dropped out of training and as such i have lost my mum two members. Great stuff!!

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Don't stress. If people drop out because of this, they probably weren't that dedicated to start with.

Good training should take prescendence over personal in-difference always!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.