• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating "in-school"

A student dating another student isn't that bad, sure it can be awkward if you break up, but how's it any different than dating at work or school. What about if your significant other decides to join your class? Do you tell her no because you might break up and make the class awkward? That being said, I think an instructor/student relationship is a bad idea unless the relationship is already there before the SO begins learning.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definatley agree

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

My school has, that I know of, two high school dating couples that hooked up recently within the past couple of months. The two guys are both assistant instructors who will be testing for their black belts this june. And the girls are both two belt levels behind their bfs. One couple is more expressive with lots of PDA before and after class... Hopefully they won't break up, we don't think that far ahead.

My missus and I go to Karate together. The problem is when I annoy her, she normally hits and kicks a little harder and quicker.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Hehe- the really funny thing about this thread is that there is another thread like "My girlfriend says MA are taking over my life"

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=25904&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

and everyone in here keeps saying "bring her to train with you"

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

My mum and her partner run our club together. He is 5th Dan, she is 2nd. Causes a bit of aggro at times but they seem to be able to resolve most things.

Its always nice to find someone who really "gets" what you do.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Well, I have to admit I've revised my position on in-school dating since this thread began. In the beginning I would have posted "absolutely never," but now...

I think if it stays outside the dojo... as in: no one would guess to look at them... it might work. Maybe.

My teachers are a husband/wife team who met while training. He was her instructor I believe.

I think you have to evaluate your maturity level, have a clear understanding with your date, and be realistic.

I would discourage teens from dating in-school only because the liklihood of breaking up is 99%. It is the nature of that age to date many people and get a feel for life and socializing. The chances of ending up training with an "ex" are very high for teens.

Adults... It can work. But be prepared to be very humble if it does not. Don't boo-hoo to others at the dojo. Keep it outside.

Edited by Spirit At Choice

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!

Kind of related topic here

Whenever we have a grading or competition etc, and peoples partners attend, I get the women either giving me evils or automatically taking a dislike to me.

They seem to think I go to karate to pull a fella, not actually train. They automatically see some sort of competition that is no way there. They think that "in school" relationships and affairs are common, which I dont believe they are

Rant over x

Karate Ni Sentinashi

They seem to think I go to karate to pull a fella, not actually train. They automatically see some sort of competition that is no way there. They think that "in school" relationships and affairs are common, which I dont believe they are

If only... :brow:

Every guy in my dojo is too young or married. Most of the adult students are parents of youngsters in the kids' program. It works out for me because I do go there to train, so there are no hormonal distractions.

And right now we actually have a pretty high girl-boy ratio, so anyone who thinks they're going to meet Mr. Right at my dojo will surely be disappointed to discover the high estrogen levels at class.

White belt mind. Black belt heart.

Rejoice and be glad!