• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Want to start and need some help

Hey...I would really like to get into boxing but have no gyms near me. I have decided to start training at home but need some pointers. Where do I start??? What do I need to be eating??? I know what equipment I need to buy and the basics of boxing. Are there any good instructional videos out there??? P.S....I'm a female if that makes any difference.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

number one tip - don't do it. you won't be able to adequately learn from a video. My advice would be to find something that IS offered in your area, regardless of style and train there.

books and videos are more beneficial when you have experience. With no experience, you will not learn properly.

Another point is that if you find somewhere to train, you may meet someone there that knows a little boxing, and would be willing to work with you.

If you want to do some reading on the subject, Turtle Press offers a book called Boxing, The American Martial Art. I have been meaning to buy it, but have not yet.

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :karate:

• 2 months later...
number one tip - don't do it. you won't be able to adequately learn from a video. My advice would be to find something that IS offered in your area, regardless of style and train there.

books and videos are more beneficial when you have experience. With no experience, you will not learn properly.

I completely agree with you, Elbows. Books are good at clarifying the finer points assuming you already know the basics of a particular art. But starting out with just books or videos is just too overwhelming IMO.

If you can't find anything close, I suggest going to a farther place a few times (or even just once) just to get the basics. Explain to the instructor, that you will not be able to attend often so he can give you a "crash course" with a variety of drills to do at home. Then practice on your own even if you do not go back to the school very often. I did this when I wanted to try Muay Thai. I drove an hour one way to the nearest school I could find and attended for two months. I haven't been back for almost a year. But I do some of the drills at home to supplement my Karate training. Good luck and let us know if you find something.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.