• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm feeling generous, so I'm gonna let you in on a little secret when it comes to sparring. If you're not competing, there's a very useful way of figuring out your opponent--I recommend it to anyone:

1. Look for what's open. If their head is open, go for the head! (simple)

2. See how they react. When you go for that open head, do they block or just lean? What does this leave open?

3. React. If they block their head when you attack, it probably leaves their chest or stomach open. Go for it!

4. Check again. Try it several more times to check that it wan't a fluke. Now you can start adding fakes so that they don't eventually adapt. If it was just a fluke, repeat steps 1-4 until you've got them.

5. Start having fun!! By this point, you have them figured out...don't be afraid to toy with them, it frustrates the heck out of your opponent.

I love using this system. It takes some getting used to in order to pull it off efficiently (unless your school does hour-long sparring matches, speed is very important). After awhile though, you can figure out pretty much anyone. More advanced fighters are more complicated, but EVERYBODY, and I mean EVERYBODY has an opening. Just not everybody can get to it. :wink:

If you have anything to add to this, or comments, feel free to add them! I just hope this helps some people who may be struggling with fighting, like I was. Us short people need all the help we can get :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't always work...especially against me.:bigwink:

When I spar, I don't block unless I HAVE to...I back up or IF I DO have to block, I use one hand, so the other is blocking the rest of the body. So I'll be blocking and backing away at the same time, so it's a rare chance your technique would work.

So therefore I leave nothing open for you to hit. :bigwink:

I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just that some people already know your techniques so they avoid them, heh.

Fighting over the internet is like special olympics...even if you win, you're still a *.

*smacks forehead in disgust*

Sillies :roll:

Everyone has an opening, simply because your arms aren't long enough to cover your entire upper body AND head. Just because you back away doesn't mean you're untouchable. If I fake a kick (if you're blocking) and advance in on you (whether or not you've blocked) I can still hit you in your opening.

If somebody blocks and counters, I can simply fake next time so that when you block I get in. People aren't as likely to counter when their block didn't pull through. Even if they do, simply side-stepping the counter should work.

Yes, this is a hard strategy to use when people are wailing on you....so you don't use it!!! You go with your instincts and fight for your life.

I swear, when used correctly, this system has never failed me...and I've sparred a lot of people.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Good tips monkeygirl ... but yes, not necessarily for competition sparring, which is far more difficult because you don't have the advantage of "knowing" your opponent (unless you have had the chance to see how they have sparred in previous bouts)

I too watch my fellow students as they spar and can read many of their sparring habits. Who drops their guard ... who is slow to turn on their back kicks... who favors what kick ... and who charges in .... and who leaves their leg up too long when they double kick. I love this one because this is the best time to attack

when they are on one foot because their balance is off. It is harder for them to avoid the counter-attack because you can’t run away when you are on one foot! :nod:

Yes everyone does leave themselves open at one time or another during the spar, however as a rule we do not attack to the head at our school (although a light smack now and then with a backfist or round is done if the two participants have each others ok to do so). So in this case when someone has a good coverup to their middle it makes it more difficult to attack .... it is up to you to figure out how to get your opponent to drop their guard.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-17 08:04 ]

On 2002-05-15 17:59, EnvE wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't always work...especially against me.:bigwink:

When I spar, I don't block unless I HAVE to...I back up or IF I DO have to block, I use one hand, so the other is blocking the rest of the body. So I'll be blocking and backing away at the same time, so it's a rare chance your technique would work.

So therefore I leave nothing open for you to hit. :bigwink:

I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just that some people already know your techniques so they avoid them, heh.

We try to leave our egos at the door.

k

thx

bye

!!!

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Hey that is why I am having a hard time trying to open the door to get in here sometime :wink: it's all those egos blocking the door .... heck and I thought I was getting weak!

Actually I think EnvE was trying to explain how and why monkeygirl's line of attack wouldn't work on him .... and that's ok.

:::tripping on egos on the way out!::

I think it's foolish to say you have nothing open..

I've seen a mere yellow belt do a crushing thigh kick on a black belt, even if it was the only strike he got it the whole sparring session, he was open at that point of time and it would have hurt a lot.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.