GATES

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, still don't understand what you're getting at...

Think of the final position of shuto - the blocking arm partially extended and hand held palm down.

This forms an upside down triangle. The base (upside-down) base forms a horizontal line from shoulder to hand, and the elbow is the vertex. If you keep the hand at shoulder height (so the base line is always horizontal) you can lengthen or shorten the shuto by moving the hand along that horizontal line - the internal elbow angle will increase/decrease as you do so.

What I'm suggesting is that you do a 'long' shuto. The horizontal base line will be quite long, rather longer than the length of your own forearm in fact. If you block the incoming elbow with that shuto then, in order for the person's fist to come round and hit you anyway, their forearm must be longer than your shoulder/hand baseline. So as long as keep that shoulder/hand baseline quite long their fist cannot hit you.

Does that explain it any better?

Another way to think about it, if I turned my hand palm-up rather than palm-down the movement would feel like I'm throwing a frisbee.

Mike

yep, makes sence now.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

actually, rick makes an escellent point.

Depending on the severity of the fight, it could be wiser to shadow step and explode into their underarm.

however, I assume that if it is a poor hook then there would be no need to go really hard; a simple block->counter would suffice

• 3 weeks later...
What block would you use for a hook (that most people use when they dont know how to punch) punch?

and what block would you use against a proper boxing hook a nice and tight one?

easy...a high side block while moving in to the boxer{this enables me to block with the tricept and peri my blocking arm in an outward motion,causing me to wrap his arm in to my arm pit,at the same time my fore arm is directly under his elbow,my next move is to place my free hand on his striking arms shoulder,and place the hand on my blocking arm on top of my free arms fore arm-thus causing a figure 4 arm lock,and he then has two options:

option 1, submission

or option 2 Crack,snaple, pop there goes his elbow. :lol:

What block would you use for a hook (that most people use when they dont know how to punch) punch?

and what block would you use against a proper boxing hook a nice and tight one?

easy...a high side block while moving in to the boxer{this enables me to block with the tricept and peri my blocking arm in an outward motion,causing me to wrap his arm in to my arm pit,at the same time my fore arm is directly under his elbow,my next move is to place my free hand on his striking arms shoulder,and place the hand on my blocking arm on top of my free arms fore arm-thus causing a figure 4 arm lock,and he then has two options:

option 1, submission

or option 2 Crack,snaple, pop there goes his elbow. :lol:

well, this is good for dojo practice, in a real situation it will end up to a clinch, we do the same thing but we wouldn't try to make the full lock using the free hand.

its worked before,in the real world,i went through a phase where i tested my techniques out in bars below the border in mexico,needless to say you get out of town quickly after any mexican bar room brawls if not the local 5.0 will throw it to you for being American.although i live more of a peaceful life now in my mid 20s

i haven't done something like that scince i was 20.

its worked before,in the real world,i went through a phase where i tested my techniques out in bars below the border in mexico,needless to say you get out of town quickly after any mexican bar room brawls if not the local 5.0 will throw it to you for being American.although i live more of a peaceful life now in my mid 20s

i haven't done something like that scince i was 20.

i guess south of the border they are still lookin for you guys. :)

Blocking a hook is a pig... best to do something else...

I prefer to use their momentum in a throw, o goshi (regular hip throw). OK, so it's not Karate - but it works very well ... The Aikido randori-no-kata has two good responses to the same movement too.

Well, sticking with regular Karate ... probably best to use distance and body movement to evade it. Or, better still, anticipate the attack and "neutralise" the attacker first.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.