Tokkan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon: His kata just seems to lag on some techniques and he doesn't have the snap during his kata that I've seen from the other greats. Also, when he transitions into kime, he moves a little instead of the sharp ending of technique.

Juey: I'm not denying his greatness and my respect for him, because I do respect him a great deal. It's just that a person of his stature, you would think he would demonstrate the best example. When I see Kanazawa perform kata, he almost seems bored when doing kata. And I know he is well capable of demonstrating much better technique than he did.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I'm saying that becasue he does a watered-down modified version emphasizing atheleticism over technique it is mcdojoish, yes.

But that's just my opinion

respectfully,

Gero

I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure that I would use the term McDojoish. I view a McDojo as essentially a place that gives away belts; I don't view this competitor at quite that level. Flashy, I would go with, but McDojoish, I don't know.

Just my opinion. :D

I'd be interested to see how Valdesi's bunkai fits into pace he uses. It is a very different pace from the way I practice. As everyone else said, he's sharp and quick and pretty. Great for competition.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I'd be interested to see how Valdesi's bunkai fits into pace he uses. It is a very different pace from the way I practice. As everyone else said, he's sharp and quick and pretty. Great for competition.

He probably does do a different version for application and bunkai. At least, I hope.

Killer,

I can understand that coming from a student of Nishiyama Sensei he to is one of the greats but what I have seen him do is flawless in appearance.

I agree he does move a little in the kime part of his kata sometimes but I have seen others do that also. Nakazato Sensei hanshi of the Shorinkan his blocks seem to bounce or shake a little in his kata. Thats what I love about watching people perform kata, no one does it exactly the same. There's always a little difference.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I see point, Bushido. In that sense, you are right, its more flashy than mcdojoish. I just (probably because of my own prejudices) tend to equate the two. Still I dont like it! :)

I still dont see the problem with Kanazawa's kata (although there are others I have seen that do slightly more focused kata, like for the late Sensei Worrel from Panama). I think Kanazawa has his own interpretation of power that involves a little extra whip action in most moves that others would do concentrating on focus. It still is VERY powerful! And he has the best oi tzuki i've ever seen, just like Tanaka had the best mae-geri I've ever seen.

By the way, of tall the greats I've seen do kata, I like Sensei Nishiyama's katas the BEST!

respecfully,

Gero