• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fighting Spirit: Something you're born with, or learned?

Hart

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some people are just naturally better fighters, in my experience. Not to say someone can't become an excellent fighter by hard work, but at least in my experience, some people excel naturally.

Well, it's hard to tell if someone's born with 'fighting spirit'... I would tend to say it's determined (like most other psychological traits) by events in your childhood. I grew up in a racially tense neighborhood, and by extension learned a lot about fighting at an early age with greatly assisted my training later in life.

That being said, I believe it swings both ways.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

Everyone is born with different gifts. I do believe that some people were born with a natural talent for fighting. However, I also believe that that exact same talent can be learned if you want it badly enough.

Everyone is born with different gifts. I do believe that some people were born with a natural talent for fighting. However, I also believe that that exact same talent can be learned if you want it badly enough.

I agree with you here. One thing that I would say is similar to "fighting spirit," but not the same, would be what I call for lack of better terminology the "killer instinct." The ability to fight is trainable. However, the trait that some people have to just to go into a state of mind to totally ahnialate someone is totally different, and in my opinion, much harder to train.

I agree with you here. One thing that I would say is similar to "fighting spirit," but not the same, would be what I call for lack of better terminology the "killer instinct." The ability to fight is trainable. However, the trait that some people have to just to go into a state of mind to totally ahnialate someone is totally different, and in my opinion, much harder to train.

True. By definition, an "instinct" cannot be learned. That is just part of how a person is; you can develop your mind to have more of a "killer instinct" mentality, but it will take a great deal of time and you probably will never have the same core mental pattern as one who is born with that instinct.

True. By definition, an "instinct" cannot be learned. That is just part of how a person is; you can develop your mind to have more of a "killer instinct" mentality, but it will take a great deal of time and you probably will never have the same core mental pattern as one who is born with that instinct.

You can develop your mind, but you also need the physical experiences to fuel it. Just telling yourself that you are "bad" is not enough.

You can develop your mind, but you also need the physical experiences to fuel it. Just telling yourself that you are "bad" is not enough.

Not if you want to improve. The mind and the body need to work together seamlessly.

Oh, good question!!!

I think it's a bit of both. I think technical ability and knowledge is required to promote the fighting spirit, but the spirit itself comes from the person (either born with or developed over time).

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Oh, good question!!!

I think it's a bit of both. I think technical ability and knowledge is required to promote the fighting spirit, but the spirit itself comes from the person (either born with or developed over time).

Exactly. They must work together seamlessly.