• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do you prepare for a fight..?

kilogreen

When i enter tournaments i sometimes have a bit of a problem deciding what to do before i fight.

Sometimes i watch the other fights leading up to mine and make notes of what the refs are scoring and what they are not, the overall standard of the competitors and what techniques they are using so i know what foot they favour and how they fight..or

Sit away in a corner with my hood up and my music on until the time comes...

Both seem to work, what works for you?

Half empty or half full?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I try to work my combinations and counters when I spar with others in class, so I can get them down. I'll also take some time to spar tall people, so I can prepare for that as well. At the tourney, I'll scout the previous fights, to see what the others' tendencies are.

Stretching, meditation and breathing.

I try and forget about EVERYTHING, just let my training do what it's supposed to do when it's supposed to do it. Works quite well in my experience.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

"If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril.

When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are

equal.

Therefore I say: Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in

peril." - Gichin Funakoshi

Sit and watch your opponent and find out what their strengths and weaknesses are. Once you have done that, relax and leave the rest up to instinct.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I will also have been watching my opponent/division so that I can be best prepared. I want to enter the fight already aware of my opponent(s) strengths, weaknesses, and how I will manipulate them to overcome the individual fighter.

As far as the mental preparation right before a fight, I do two thing. I pray to God that I will be on top of my game and that I have an excellent attitude no matter what the end result is. After that, music helps to sharpen my focus.

Just find what works for you.