• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seyunchin Kata

Shui Tora

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Gotcha. Thanks, PAL. The form looked similar to me. What was made up in it?

the pattern of the kata is almost same as the original , hand techniques are altered as well but the main problem is foot work . Goju ryu like any other style has a specific way of stepping, sliding or turning, I can't change these fundamentals and still call it Goju ryu.

Gotcha. Thanks, PAL. The form looked similar to me. What was made up in it?

the pattern of the kata is almost same as the original , hand techniques are altered as well but the main problem is foot work . Goju ryu like any other style has a specific way of stepping, sliding or turning, I can't change these fundamentals and still call it Goju ryu.

I see. That makes sense. I have seen many variations of the forms that I do in my TKD style as well. The differences range anywhere from stances to slightly altered interpretations of hand techniques.

you may be familiar with this form, it's Bassai Dai (or as we call it Itosu no passai or passai sho), in in this dojo as you can see , knife hand blocks starts from a wroung foot and to make it right they have to do 4 kinfe hand instead of 3.

http://www.afkka.com/videos02/afkka_movie0215.htm

this is a standard version

Thanks, PAL. The links are great. I have seen that form a few times, but I will have to watch them a few more times to become really familiar with it. We really don't have a TKD equivalent to it.

http://www.spokanekarate.com/kata/index.php

This is my Sensei. We do traditional Okinawan Goju-Ryu and he trained under Higona Sensei. So it's the real deal.

I think I have seen this one before. It is well done.

Hello,

We removed a post from this thread in error. It is below. I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

this is the Okinawan version the way Mario Higaona does:

http://www.spokanekarate.com/kata/index.php

I thought this one looked good.

this is a nighmare version

By a "nightmare" version, do you mean that you did not like it? I thought it looked ok, but I am no expert in karate kata, by any stretch.

the karateka who performes it , is OK . the version he is doing is made up. the refrence is the first one or the third link.

Wow i just checked that vid of the seienchin kata, i understand when u think its a nightmare kata and i agree when the version he is doing is made up. But thats not the offical "version" of the goju kata. They way ive learned it off many different gojuryu karate - ka ( okinawan and Japanese) are more peaceful. i quite enjoy it as many do.

But yes totally agree with you!