• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School fights

First of all, the legality of fighting at school makes the situation more complicated. As was posted before in this thread, if you are attacked in a public school and you fight back, you will be punished. And, depending on where you live, you may not fare too well in court. When I was a freshman, I was attacked at school by a guy who was just not having a good day. I did not strike back, but only blocked his attacks, because I decided he was not threatening my well-being in a classroom. Thank goodness I did. It turns out that if I had hit him, with martial arts training, I would have probably gone to a correctional facility. It is just the way it is.

However, if someone attacks you, regardless of where you are, and they are imposing a serious threat on your well-being then by all means, do what is necessary to protect yourself. Block the attack, quickly disable them, and get out of that area.

how could u have gone to a correctional facility if u defended urself against a unprovoked attacker, dose not make any sence to me, especially since it was only a school fight, have u had to defend urself numerous times or something. my school is charter, and my friends is a bording school, and neather, of are schools, punishment would be that bad, unless someone went to the hospital because someone did not stop hitting the other person even after they had one.

Because of the fact that I was, in the courts eyes, "trained to fight". Since I took martial arts, any damages my assailant claimed would be amplified. In the end, it wasn't worth the risk. And I was right; he was expelled and I wasn't.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It turns out that if I had hit him, with martial arts training, I would have probably gone to a correctional facility. It is just the way it is.

I have not heard of this being stated with this much severity. I have heard of things like this, but many times I have also heard they are bunk claims. I'm sure it depends on the area in which you live, but in any case, I don't think it is right.

"With all do respect, if you think schools are not as dangerous as the so called "streets" you might want to think again."

at one point in my high school career (at a private college prep no less) I had someone try a throat strike with the full intent that I would at least be severely injured. Thankfully, he was slow and had no idea what he was doing. In return, I punched him a few times and pulled a pressure point in order to subdue him.

the point is, while the streets tend to be more dangerous, school's can have issues too.

To reply to the original question: psychological control is important in all fights now (in schools and on the streets). If your safety is in question, you MUST defend yourself, however, you also have to judge what the minimum damage you can do.

with this in mind, I have assumed you don't start the fights or in any way abuse your art. If you are abusing your learnings, then STOP.

It turns out that if I had hit him, with martial arts training, I would have probably gone to a correctional facility. It is just the way it is.

I have not heard of this being stated with this much severity. I have heard of things like this, but many times I have also heard they are bunk claims. I'm sure it depends on the area in which you live, but in any case, I don't think it is right.

It is absolutely not right. After all, everyone should have the right the defend themselves with skill.

I'll tell you the same thing I've told my 10 year old son. If your put into a situation, that you cannot talk you way out of, and you have to fight, you fight to win. Plain and simple. I'd much rather my son come home on a trumped up school suspension (trumped up because if he was defending himself, its not fair that he should be suspended), then come home beat up with possible life changing injuries.

Any parent that doesn't allow their children to defend themself when there's no other course of action is a moron in my opinion. What's the point of sending my children to martial arts class's if they can't use them in their defense?

I agree wholeheartedly. Don't get me wrong. I would want my children to not fight if possible, but I do want them to stand up for themselves. Schools are different now. Children are being bullied everyday to the point where they want to take guns to school to retaliate against the offenders. Also, fights in school may be stopped by teachers, but what about after school away from adults. Martial Arts is such an important tool to give a child. They build self confidence to stand up for themselves. They learn respect to not bully or start fights. It gives them the opportunity to defend against school fights and keep them safe. Who cares about suspension, detention. If my child did not start the fight, but defended himself against one and came home safely, that is what is important.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

in a fight there are 2 hits. You hit them they hit the ground. If they start on me they are taking there life in to there own hands. I dont go mad on them but they sure as hell won't be starting any time soon.

This attitude toward a school fight is a cause for regret. You should not go into it with even the slightest thought of you thinking to kill or cripple a schoolmate. This is one of the reasons why fighting can get very bad in schools today. Self control is going to mean the difference between you defending yourself properly & you getting arrested. You'll just have to decide if the short-lived feeling of victory is going to outweigh legal matters such as lawsuits and prison time.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I couldn't agree more with Cathal... if just holding the persons arms to prevent then from swinging while you wait for them to calm down is enough, then you should go no further.

now, if you know that by not going furtherm they will sneak attack you later, then only do what you must.