• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

School fights

Sorry, to hijack the thread, but I gotta ask.

How does the American schooling system work? We hear terms like Sophmore and Freshman all the time but we have no idea how they work.

Elementary School:

Kindergarten

1st Grade

2nd Grade

3rd Grade

4th Grade

5th Grade

Middle School

6th Grade

7th Grade

8th Grade

High School

9th Grade (Freshman)

10th Grade (Sophomore)

11th Grade (Junior)

12th Grade (Senior)

There may be some other terminology for the grades, but this is the standard outline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all do respect, if you think schools are not as dangerous as the so called "streets" you might want to think again. One only needs to scan news headlines or have a son/daughter in school to realize that. Many of today's "schools" are as much if not more of a killing field than a dangerous dark alley in the "street".

I don't agree that schools are safe, but this perhaps is an over-statement. I may not be an expert, but when I went to highschool (just a year ago) the school was not a killing field of any sort. Nobody in my school died, sure maybe a fight here and there but not much.

Then you are among the lucky ones. Certainly every city/country varies. Recent and even not so recent news headlines seem to indicate that now a days school violence when it does occur can and often is more deadly than ever. To down play the seriousness or even the threat of school violence is a grave mistake IMO. To re focus here; certainly a martial artist as part of his/her training will want to be aware of potential danger in all walks of life. When the time for combat arrives, feel good policies and social theories won't be much help. Rather an MA's instinct and training could be the difference between life and death or at least serious bodily injury.

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

In order to cut down on school violence, I think that more schools should have full time Resource Officers (Police Officers) on duty. My home town has two high schools, and several primary and middle schools, and two officers is not enough, in my opinion.

Sorry, to hijack the thread, but I gotta ask.

How does the American schooling system work? We hear terms like Sophmore and Freshman all the time but we have no idea how they work.

Elementary School:

Kindergarten

1st Grade

2nd Grade

3rd Grade

4th Grade

5th Grade

Middle School

6th Grade

7th Grade

8th Grade

High School

9th Grade (Freshman)

10th Grade (Sophomore)

11th Grade (Junior)

12th Grade (Senior)

There may be some other terminology for the grades, but this is the standard outline.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

The need for security at school sickens me. To think that children need such authority around them in order to maintain...any semblance of sanity is inconceivable.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

The need for security at school sickens me. To think that children need such authority around them in order to maintain...any semblance of sanity is inconceivable.

Yes, it is sickening. People should be able to control themselves. But, sadly, many choose not to. In the end, security may be necessary in some schools. But it shouldn't ever be.

First of all, the legality of fighting at school makes the situation more complicated. As was posted before in this thread, if you are attacked in a public school and you fight back, you will be punished. And, depending on where you live, you may not fare too well in court. When I was a freshman, I was attacked at school by a guy who was just not having a good day. I did not strike back, but only blocked his attacks, because I decided he was not threatening my well-being in a classroom. Thank goodness I did. It turns out that if I had hit him, with martial arts training, I would have probably gone to a correctional facility. It is just the way it is.

However, if someone attacks you, regardless of where you are, and they are imposing a serious threat on your well-being then by all means, do what is necessary to protect yourself. Block the attack, quickly disable them, and get out of that area.

how could u have gone to a correctional facility if u defended urself against a unprovoked attacker, dose not make any sence to me, especially since it was only a school fight, have u had to defend urself numerous times or something. my school is charter, and my friends is a bording school, and neather, of are schools, punishment would be that bad, unless someone went to the hospital because someone did not stop hitting the other person even after they had one.

you must learn different combinations of techniques down to your very soul and they must come without thinking when you finish with one technique, you must immediately go into another until you have attained your goal which is to destroy the enemy.