• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is grappling really a good thing for self-defense?

Maybe try to lead people to the floor is part of the animal intinct.

I am very sad with the global politics about self defense....Decent people have always to think that probably can go to jail because killing an agressive bum

Yeah, it is important to know when to stop.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it seems to me that in any fight, some will try to get you on the ground, whether they know how to wrestle or not. It is the driving force that one thinks that they can dominate someone completely if they can get them down, and set on their chest.

That is because for the most part, when a person is on the ground, they are the most vulnerable. It is much easier for a man to move on two feet than on the ground beause he is a two-legged createure who moves upright. Fighting and defending yourself on the ground is a skill that must be learned and practiced over time.

In our natural state, our ability to move on the ground is severely limited, therefore ground fighting skills and skills that teach us to move well from the ground are important skills to know in self defense. Why? because the bad guys understand the above quote and more often and not, will be trying to put you ina position that they belive will limit your movement and put them in a superior position.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• 1 month later...

Did you see the looks on the faces of the early UFC competitors when Royce Gracie took them down? Surprise, fear, anger, and, as Scooby says, "ruh roh!" Those guys were tough fighters, but not on the ground. Most people including muggers are not comfortable on the ground. If you are, it can only be better than not.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 1 month later...

I tend to agree that is would be useful but only to an extent. If someone grabs you, my opinion is to get out of that situation as quickly as possible. You may not be well served by going to the ground right away. Especially if your attacker isn't alone.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I tend to agree that is would be useful but only to an extent. If someone grabs you, my opinion is to get out of that situation as quickly as possible. You may not be well served by going to the ground right away. Especially if your attacker isn't alone.

Good point. However, defending against a grab would be different than defending against a tackle or a takedown.

If I get grabbed, I would try to punch away, I think. If I got tackled, then it would be time to roll.

Especially if your attacker isn't alone.
Good point there... You could be in total control of your opponent, but his buddy could come up behind you and nail you in the head. I feel grappling is a tool to be used when it's appropriate.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Good point there... You could be in total control of your opponent, but his buddy could come up behind you and nail you in the head.

Good point, but the same could happen if you were traing punches standing or standing in the clinch.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

Especially if your attacker isn't alone.
Good point there... You could be in total control of your opponent, but his buddy could come up behind you and nail you in the head. I feel grappling is a tool to be used when it's appropriate.

If there is more than one person, a little stand up grappling/take downs couldn't hurt, just as long as you don't try to wrestle them or get to the ground. Judo throws perhaps?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt