How Much $

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every place is different. Many places will want a one-year contract. Around here, those run $65-85 USD per month.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I have a contract signed where I go, but the money is withdrawn monthly from my account, so I don't have to worry about writing a check every month.

In Wilmington NC, I would say the average is about 50-60 bucks a month.

I charge 10 bucks a month since my dojo is an outreach ministry of my church...no rent...no worries!

I pay $38 a month, and that allows me to go to as many classes a week as I desire. Its slightly discounted because they give a discount for more than one family member attending, and I go with my son.

This is Canadian currency, in Canada of course.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

I'm on a two year contract and pay about $65 a month and get to go to any class during the week and have all my testing fees covered. Unlike a lot of places, if I have a legitimate reason for leaving(like moving or serious illness) I can get out of my contract so I don't mind it so much. It ranges in southern oregon from about $50 - $100 a month depending on the school.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

We have a monthly or every three month payment plan. Discounts are given for the three month option, additionally a family discount is given. I train with my daughter and right now we pay monthly and get three classes a week. At our level this pays for training in beginner karate, kihon, kata, etc. We do not train in weapons or kumite yet, I know that weapons is an additional cost but not sure what it is. Of course testing fees are extra. I think it's a little pricey overall but I try to consider these two things; Number one, I feel at least at this point we are getting our moneys worth. Secondly, the dojo where I train is a family run business. My Sensei has two kids, wife etc. Being self employed myself I try to remember all the difficulties in running your own business. It's not all glamour like some may think. :)

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

The place that I did Kum-Do at was around $125 a month and that included up to 3 training days a week. That place was a rip-off, but the classes were small (the max I had was 2 other people with me) so we got a lot of individual attention and there was no contract at all.

The place I was looking at for Judo and Danzan-Ryu Jujutsu (they also offer Wing Chun and they used to offer seperately Carlson Gracie's BJJ Academy until he died in February). For Judo it was about $80 a month (no contract). I'm not sure if that was just for Judo or if all their arts (except BJJ) were $80 too.

One thing I'd suggest asking about are class sizes. I think it would be worth it to pay maybe $5 - $10 a month extra and there be maybe 5 people in the class so you get extra attention rather than having a normal class size of 10 - 20.

There was one place literaly down the street from my house (well my mom's) and it was about $55 a month (again no contract) with 2 or 3 classes a week, but the catch is that they do like 4 or 5 different arts and they expect you to learn with them. So week 1 you may do Judo, then week 2 you may do Qi Gong (I believe that's right), then week 3 Aikido, etc. It's good if you're looking for something to calm you down (they had many internal arts) but not if you're training for self-defense (extensive) or for sport.

Looks like the USA is a lot more expensive than The Netherlands. I pay only €65/3 months, so that is a little less than €22 a month. I can go up to 3 times right now because I am a white belt, but once I reach orange belt I can go up to 5 times a week. And my school is really good! Shotokan Karate.

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt