• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Etiquette out side the Dojo?

Now, I do believe that there is a point where necessary respect stops and egotistical rituals start, but that point is not at addressing your seniors as your senior. :)

I agree. I too think that the point it starts is not at adressing your seniors as your senior, but that it starts at the requirement to do so.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else i wouldn't do is sociallise with my sensei, i couldnt imagine myself doing that to be honest. But being on friendly terms in the street is ok i think.

:o

My Sensei is almost my best friend. I tell him everything. I couldn't imagine not socalizing with him.

Something else i wouldn't do is sociallise with my sensei, i couldnt imagine myself doing that to be honest. But being on friendly terms in the street is ok i think.

My Sensei is almost my best friend. I tell him everything. I couldn't imagine not socalizing with him.

I don't know what style you study, but in the traditional arts, there is a student-teacher relationship. We go by the idea of being "personable" not "personal".

Be careful of your assumptions.

What you are quoting is your personal experience, not the style. I am currently teaching a traditional martial art and one of my students is one of my closest friends outside the dojo (Zorbasan on this forum). In the dojo, I expect the same respect from him as anyone else. Outside the dojo, we are just as any other friends are. While I would not make a habit of making friends from students, in this particular case, it was more a case of making students from friends (he was a friend before he was a student).

Then of course, there is our Chief Sensei. He is my father....

I don't know what style you study, but in the traditional arts, there is a student-teacher relationship. We go by the idea of being "personable" not "personal".

I understand where you're coming from.

I study Goju-Ryu, a "traditional" system. Though in the dojo it's quite different, outside he's practically my father.

This really depends more on the instructor's personal philosophies, as opposed to the standards of the art itself. It just depends if you get the strictly business type of instructor, or the one who is sociable, or one who is just downright friendly to everyone, and is everyone's friend.

I am currently teaching a traditional martial art and one of my students is one of my closest friends outside the dojo (Zorbasan on this forum). In the dojo, I expect the same respect from him as anyone else. Outside the dojo, we are just as any other friends are. While I would not make a habit of making friends from students, in this particular case, it was more a case of making students from friends (he was a friend before he was a student).

You are in a different situation than the one I am referring to. If you were close friends previously, then there is no reason to stifle the friendship, as long as proper protocol is shown in the Dojang (Dojo). As a general rule, I believe it is best for an instructor not to get too personal with his or her students. There are exceptions though, such as your situation.

Then of course, there is our Chief Sensei. He is my father....

No! You may not have a personal relationship with your father! :D As I typed above, there are exceptions to the general guideline.

This really depends more on the instructor's personal philosophies, as opposed to the standards of the art itself. It just depends if you get the strictly business type of instructor, or the one who is sociable, or one who is just downright friendly to everyone, and is everyone's friend.

Yes, it does depend on the instructor's philosophy. I am not saying that any instructor that is personal with his or her students is flatly wrong. I am saying that I believe it is best for a instructor to act according to a student-teacher relationship that does not deeply involve personal lives. Always be friendly to your students though; as I said, be "personable" not "personal". We are saying the same thing. :)

Yeah exactly, I agree.... well now that you have clarified. It's dangerous to make assumptions cos more often than not, they will fit into one of those exceptions you spoke about. I too believe it's best to maintain a certain amount of professional distance, but each situation varies.

Yeah exactly, I agree.... well now that you have clarified. It's dangerous to make assumptions cos more often than not, they will fit into one of those exceptions you spoke about. I too believe it's best to maintain a certain amount of professional distance, but each situation varies.

Yes, sorry. I was a bit unclear before. :)