• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Etiquette out side the Dojo?

HAHAHA, that's amazing, we had exactly the same situation, but I think he was a green belt at that stage. One of our students was in med-school. After he graduated, he was leaving the dojo one night. Sensei said "Goodnight Simon" (Simon substituted for his real name). He replied with "Dr. Simon". Sensei simply replied with "Not in here you're not. Goodnight Simon". The issue never came up again.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it shows great respect if you call them Sensei outside of the dojo, but if they expect it, then I think that is just ego.

I agree with the first half of this statement but have a bit of trouble with this second part. True, in some cases ego probably does come into play, however hasn't a Sensei earned that title? Is it simply noting more than just a title for the dojo? I say no, if Sensei stops being Sensei after class then is he/she truly a Sensei?

I have not run into my Sensei outside of the dojo environment yet but when and if I do I will address him as Sensei unless told other wise. When it comes to Sempai, while in the Dojo I strive to show respect to all Sempai, IMO, they have obviously earned that. This also shows a greater respect to the Sensei as well. Outside of the Dojo, I would not necessarily acknowledge the Sempai in the same way.

This is my .02 on it. :wink:

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

I feel that if you want to call one person by a title outside of their place of business, then everyone should be called by Mr. or Mrs. as well.

Every school is different. As others have already stated, it comes down to the rules of the organization and if you really want to follow them.

From a high level of respect I always address Sifu by his title. He's a gifted teacher and martial artist.

The way I look at it is this:

1) If you want to be respected you have to earn it by setting a good example for your students-they will do what you do inside and outside the dojo.

And...

2)The more you give to others the more you get in return.

Certain formalities may not be expected outside the dojo but that does not mean that they go un-noticed.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Heidi made a good point. I see her outside the dojang, and I bow. I don't care where it is. I have a lot of respect for her and her hubby. Both of them taught me so much.

But then again, I had instructors that didn't want that. My TSD instructor wanted to be treated as a normal guy outside of class. But in class, he kicked butt. He didn't demand respect, he earned it. Nice guy. I saw him once outside. I tried to respect his feelings, and respect him as my instructor. So I just shook his hand and called him Mr. B. He was satisfied with that.

I'm sure Heidi would be too, but she didn't say so :P hehehehehe So she gets a bow ;)

Laurie F

I wouldn't think of calling my instructor anything but his given title. He earned it and deserves my respect. I know I would never call him by his first name and if I had to address him as otherwise, it would be Mr. ...

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I agree with all of you. I think that calling your Sensei by their title outside of the dojo shows great respect. I too call those before me by their appropriate titles. All I'm saying though is that if they get upset if you don't use the title outside the dojo, that's ego. Sure, they deserve to be called Sensei in the dojo and that should be demanded, but outside of that environment, being called Sensei should be a compliment, not a requirement.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

As has been said, it depends on the particular instructor. If one's instructor/style asks that the student show proper protocol to their instructor, then I say that is fine.

Personally, I think if a student meets their instructor in a non-formal environment (i.e. outside the Dojang), then the student should address the instructor by his or her given title. It is not necessary to present a deep bow and recite a full Korean/Japanese salutation, but proper respect is necessary.

After all, the rank/title the instructor holds is not temporary. A Sa Bom Nim (Sensei) does not cease to be a Sa Bom Nim outside of the Dojang. He or she has become a Sa Bom Nim and he or she should be treated as such.

Now, I do believe that there is a point where necessary respect stops and egotistical rituals start, but that point is not at addressing your seniors as your senior. :)