• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Respecting Younger Instructors

Whoa, Monkeygirl. You have some valid points. Most higher colored belts should and do have the ability to "assist" lower belts in some aspects of MA. However, it is the direct responsibility of the school instructor to provide proper training as required or expected by his art and his superiors. His/her decision to delegate teaching duties to assistants should be not be based upon the philosophy of "I'm the big cheese and I'm just going to sit back and watch my assistants" (Supervision requires participation is my credo), rather, the assistants should reflect the abilities and work ethic of the head instructor. And even if the assistants are skilled enough, that doesn't mean they can teach effectively. That comes with experience. Years of experience. I bet any high ranking instructor will tell you they learn more and more about teaching as the years go by. These interpersonal skills aren't easy to develop, but are critical for effective communication in anything you do in life. So, Monkeygirl, if you have reached this point in this boring lecture, by the time you have a few years under your black belt you will be better prepared to help instruct the class. Don't rush it.

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to take the warm-up occasionally in my judo class when I was an 8th kyu orange belt, which included all belts, ages and ranks. No-one seemed to mind (and besides the Dans could get their revenge later if they needed to!)

Personally I do not mind if a younger or less senior person is instructing as long as they are good! However if I were that younger person I wouldn't try to fix the technique of any of my senior classmates! Often junior instructors are pretty rubbish at first (let's be honest!) but one has to recognise that they need to learn and to discover just how different (and difficult) it is to teach a class rather than just participate, and one needs to give them a bit of leeway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My karma will run over your dogma

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the requirements for our black belt test is to get a certain amount of teaching hours in before the test. The theory behind that is that they have to know their stuff enough to be able to teach others. Sometimes you learn best by teaching. Our instructor has way to many students to lead class all by himself. An average class size is 35-40 students. So black belts and people on the leadership team are put in charge of a group of students while our head instructor circles between the groups and making sure we are doing it right and often teaching them new techniques.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

....Monkeygirl after reading your post (s) ... you too have to lighten a bit. Your words are those of someone who is trying so desperately to defend her point of view to the point where you're grasping hon. You are not caught in a corner and we are not ganging up on you by no means. Let's keep to the topic in question .... We do appreciate your love of teaching and it is evident in your posts. But you do have to understand that you are still young and probably are not aware of the course that the martial arts seems to be taking in terms of qualified instruction.

If classes are to be taught by an assistant or high-ranking students at the school, it is not say they are not not fully qualified to teach, but prospective students should know ahead of time who will be doing the instruction, and if the master instructor will be there along side their "assistants" or "leadership team" to oversee the course of instruction.

If you sign on to a school and find out later you have every right to be upset. Choose your schools wisely (everyone should know this, but some do not!).... some people just prefer to have an older- wiser- black belt degrees up to their ying-yang type of instructor, or at least one that drove themself to the dojo.

Remember we are all from different styles here in this forum. Some styles more difficult to learn and train in both physically and mentally then others. Some more traditional .... some more modern in their approach both as to its teaching and practice.

We must keep an open mind

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Black Tae Kwon Do

CardioKickboxing/Fitness Inst.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-05-09 09:16 ]

This happens all the time in big universities, especially places like Harvard and Stanford. While the professor is completing some research to keep his or her tenure, a student called a Teachers Aid (often just TA) will teach class. Many times this isn't even the most gifted student, it's whoever kissed butt the best.

Sorry, but this is not true. TA stands for "Teaching Assistant", and they are graduate students, not third and fourth year undergraduates. One does not become a TA by "kissing butt the best", but rather because it's often a condition of receiving one's stipend from the department. Assisting (and sometimes teaching alone) introductory classes prepares graduate students for what many of them will spend their lives doing--teaching their subject at the university level.

The notion that fifteen year olds teaching is not an ideal situation is not old fashioned. Simply put, no matter how good you think you are, you have to learn to realize your limitations. You're only just becoming really aware of yourself, you're still formulating your identity, and you still have a lot of growing to do. It takes a lot of time to cultivate the gift of teaching, and 15 is simply too young.

That said, I'm not saying that being an adult automatically makes you mature and developed enough to teach. Ideally, one should have studied the subject (be it sciences, language, humanities, martial arts, whatever) for many years--at least 10 or so--and have spent four or five years assisting another teacher who's been teaching a long time. In America we have this unfortunate notion that anyone can just pick up something like teaching and do okay at it, and that's the reason education is in the state it is.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Even an 18 year old is a bit extreme, not all 18 year olds are the same. A lot of people are very immature and C O C K Y.

If you want to pay some kid to teach you then thats your problem not mine. I would take lessons from a seasoned black belt any time. I still think its best to be taught by a professional rather than some kid that can kick fast and do fancy things. Anyone can do that...

Do unto others, as they done to you.

[ This Message was edited by: TKD_McGee on 2002-05-09 11:37 ]

Do unto others, as they done to you.

Thanks KickChick.

Sorry I got a little passionate there :smile:

I understand that I have limitations, it's just that some people were saying 15-year-olds shouldn't teach at all. I realize I have a lot to learn, but I can't ever learn if I don't practice, ya know?

And believe me, I'm not talking about running out and starting my own school...far from it! I started this thread partly because I was upset over a comment that was made, but mainly because I wanted to find out what I could do to overcome it. I didn't mean to offend anyone in my replies, sorry if my tone was misinterpreted (unfortunately, as you all know, tone can be difficult to convey in writing and easily misunderstood). You have all made some very good points, and as I go to teach tonight, (kids' classes) I feel better prepared and have a lot to keep in mind.

I've pretty much said all I can say on this subject unless anyone has more questions. Feel free to discuss. :razz:

Thank you all for helping make me a better instructor--now, and in the future when I'm not just a radical or "extreme" ( :grin: ) young 15-year-old!! :up:

:angel:

A true friend is someone who asks you how you are and actually listens.

Short people rock

Be like water!!

[ This Message was edited by: monkeygirl on 2002-05-09 12:10 ]

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

:bigwink: ... I too (those who know where "I" stand on certain 'issues') , know that I can get very passionate on certain subjects. When you ask for opinions here on the forum ...you are going to get them! Just remember before you ask ... you may not like what you are going to hear, but we do have a culmination of experience here within this forum and you will walk away from your keyboard with some new insights which I'm sure you have!

Keep that tenacious spirit you have there monkeygirl and you will go far .... You are just learning to deal with situations in life that no matter how old you get may never change for you.... the thing about age is that you have far more other things to worry about. This may not make any sense whatsoever .... you "older" members might get what I mean!

There is alot to be said for experience!

All of my instructors are younger than myself, they have been nothing but professional and patient with my progress and successes. I started training when I was 38, old dog, new tricks :wink:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Age can be a state of mind?

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-05-14 08:01 ]

Best regards,

Jack Makinson