• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30 days to first tournament

Hi Mustbe

I've got my first tournament on Sunday, can you share any of your experiences to help me?

Regards

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't expect to be able to do everything that you can normally. I am 40 years old and was still nervous. This was a small tourny, and I did O.K., but I felt I could have done better.

I was beat in one match by a person from my own school who knew the game better. He is a senior belt, but I still felt I should have done better.

If you want advice from a newbie I will tell you what I wish I would have done.

1) HAve two things you would like to try on your first set.That gives you options depending on their strengths.

2) Don't forget your feet or hands.Don't forget the body.

3) You don't have to be fancy to win at point KArate. It's advance tag. I was beat in my final match by a guy throwing "buddy" kicks. I would have laughed, but he kept landing the freakin' things.

4) Try to be aggressive. It's easier said then done.

When your on your back, it doesn't matter what put you there.

aw i missed it! oh well at least u got through it! now you know the rules and things of the kinds of tournaments ure club goes to!

im just talkin from comaa's perspective, you would be in the executive coloured belt division, this is not a overly large division, but the guys here do like to hit alot harder for some reason... that is why for future reference you always want to end the fight as quickly as possible. As soon as fight, hajime, or begin (whichever you guys use) is called go... do not wait for your opponent until mid fight if it is even, you want to get as many points right off the bat as possible...

Also since you are a white belt, the best strategy i have found against beginner belts (white-orange) is to continuously twich ure front leg, slightly raising your knee as if to kick, due to inexperience they will pay full attention to your leg giving you the perfect opportunity to strike with a punch or backfist to the side of the head...

good luck in future tournaments

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

I went to my first tournament last month. most everybody was purple and higher. at first I really didn't want to compete but after watching the others(white thu orange), I felt pretty confidant doing my one step and two pinion. when you're over thirty jus seems like everyone in so much younger and has the advantage. I was in a three-way tie for second in forms. BTW im forty also. Just practice a bit, dont over do it. when the day of the tourny comes you'll be ready and wont sweat it. as Master Pearl told me "your Sensi's wouldn't have invited you if they didn't have the confidence in your ability".

Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way !

We just came back from the FIMA Fall Classic karate tournament in NJ. Rich Faustini, of the Faustini Institute of Martial Arts, runs a good show. There were 250 competitors & we were done & out before 2:30pm. 7 of us competed. David Weiss, 8 yrs. old, took 2nd pl. in kata & self defense. My brown belt fought in the advanced div. for the 1st time. He beat a red belt & was disqualified for head contact against a black belt. It was a backfist & he barely touched him. In the kids divisions they are strict. I would have given him a warning & moved on. It's partly my fault because in my dojo there is no such thing as 'no contact' to the head or face. He took 4th pl. Another green belt came in 4th in kumite also. I took 2nd in kata & I felt good. They did not have an over 45 div so I competed against both young & old. There were about 10 competitors. Out of 7 people we took home 3 trophies. The important thing is that the students learn & the Ronin Martial Arts Club is respected in the tournament circuit. The only bad thing is that I took a camera & I didn’t take any pics. I get so involved in the officiating & competition that I totally forget.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

Congrats to mustbenuts on his 1st tourney. You can't really expect too much the 1st time. It's all a bit overwhelming if you have never experienced it before. Like I said before, what's important is that we learn from it. We all get nervous & we get those butterflies flying around in our bellies. The important thing is to get those butterflies in the right formation.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom