• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30 days to first tournament

Our school is hosting a tournament in November. I am a 40 year old white belt newbie that has been studying for only around 3 months, so exuse me if I can not answer all questions. I do know that it is point scoring and I will probably be competeing against other adult under-belts.

Have a bunch of questions, but I will keep it to a few:

1) Do you experianced guys do anything diffrent in the weeks, days before a tounament?

2) Is a competitor better to have an idea of what he wants to do before he goes in. I.E. force the action or let it come to you.

3)Do you tend to simplify when competing, or just let the oponent dictate your stragey?

Thanks for the advice,folks.

When your on your back, it doesn't matter what put you there.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the same empty hand, and Kobudo kata's in tournament's for the better part of 4 years. They were both winners, and they never got old, because as I progressed my dynamics got better.

Don't try to do a kata that's above your belt level, simply because its above your belt level. Do a kata that you've practiced a lot and feel like you know well.

As far as sparring, don't be discouraged if you lose. There are schools/styles out there that keep a white belt on students that have been training for years. Its just the way their style is. Those guys are going to be good, and the only way to deal with them is to revert back to what you've been trained to do, and just execute it.

I'm personally very aggressive in sparring. I always press that action. Of course that is sometimes my down fall, because there are those fighters out there that thrive on counter striking. You need a health balance of aggressivness and caution. Try to be aggressive at first, and if that's not working for you, lay back a bit and become a counter striker.

You should do what you feel comfortable with. Work on your strategies in class, and take them to the ring with you. You will be nervous, but that it ok. The few days before, I would brush up on things, keep the dust knocked off, so to speak, but don't overdo any workouts. You want to go in fresh, but not rusty.

Best of luck to you! :karate:

One of the most important and often not done things in your first tournament is this: RELAX... if you get down to it, sparing at tournament is not really much different than sparring at class. Since it's so close to your tournament, the best strategy would be to work what you know. I'm of the belief that simplicity is always best.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Hi Mustbe,

My club is going to a point tournament in exactly in month also. Now is the time you should be training hard (actually it should have started about 2 weeks ago). Hard contact for up to approximately 2 weeks before the event & then go for speed & technique. You don't want to go into the competition with injuries before you even get out there. Do not wait on the opponent. You, most likely only have 3 points & or 2 or 3 minutes. It can be over before you blink. You have to go all out if you want to win. Kiai loud, position yourself with your best side toward the Chief Ref (if you are a righty put him on your left) if you have a choice, run up & take that position if you can. Watch the other fighters see what they throw. Watch the officials & see what they call. Don't show off & spar with people near your ring. Train hard, get a good night sleep the night before. Be confident like a student who has studied hard & done his or her homework.

Thanks,

Sensei Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We had our tournament. It went fine, but I was so nervous I didn't perform as well as I could have.

That's ok, I felt the same way after my first tournament. The big thing is that you competed, despite your nervousness. Next time you'll be better prepared. :)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

We had our tournament. It went fine, but I was so nervous I didn't perform as well as I could have.

That's ok, I felt the same way after my first tournament. The big thing is that you competed, despite your nervousness. Next time you'll be better prepared. :)

Exactly. It is a learning experience, and you will know what to do better next time.