• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes a great kata (form)

this might be a little off topic, but i didn't want to start a new thread with this.

I know nothing about katas really, but i was wondering when do you start learning them? i started MA about 2 month ago, but really haven't learned any kata/forms/poomse whatever yet.

thank you :smile:

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I learned the first part of ki cho hyung, the white belt form in Kuk Sool Won, on my first day of class. Knowing the whole form and all white belt techniques (Ki Bon Suh) is required to advance to yellow belt.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Hiya a lot depends on the teaching philosophy of your school. Some start forms the first lesson. Others build the basic skills in drills first. You didn't say what style you are in.

If you're talking about making a kata of your own, variety is the spice of life!!! A 3rd dan blackbelt and I designed a kata for me, and let me tell you, they're hard to make up! Decide what moves you like, what is your specialty, etc. For instance, I'm a kicker, so I focus a lot on kicks, but also have good hand techniques. A lot of it is flashy, but a lot very practical too (the two splits in the kata would fall under the flashy, not the technical :grin: )

If we're talking about an existing kata, the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with it. Make sure you know exactly what each move is, and exactly what its purpose is. This will help you have a better understanding of the kata, and you can perform it with feeling.

Try videotaping your kata. Play it back to yourself and think about how it looks. If you're unhappy with it, try to think about why, then try to improve. Keep improving until you think you can go no further. Then get your instructor to see, if possible. Keep videotaping, it's a wonderful tool!

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

If you're creating a form and it is for competition then keep most of your techniques going forward towards the judges. Don't waste your time doing moves towards the back. Use 45 degree angles. I've created about 100 open forms and I know what wins and what doesn't. Make combos that include hand techniques that move into kicking and vice versa.

Pete

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Yes siree bob, it's those angles they watch like a hawk, along with deepness of stance, your fore and back balances, tight folds, snap of the kicks and strikes, they also watch if you look in the direction of your next move to actually simulate an actual bunkai, those thumbs sticking out on the sudos :smile: thay look to see if your belt is tied right and equal lengths, ha, I cheat and have my tournament dobok starched just for the added POP, please forgive me :nod:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Thank you..

[ This Message was edited by: jakmak52 on 2002-05-10 20:46 ]

Best regards,

Jack Makinson