• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What makes a great kata (form)

Hey guys , I would persoanlly like your opinion on what makes a great kata. Any advice would be good. Plus we could all use this as a refrence for our own forms and improving ourselves.

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I'd suspect that depends on the art. In Kuk Sool at least, forms are supposed to be very fluid.

Just focus on all the little details. something I'm having problems with lately are that I tense my shoulders too much. What you need to work on is very much a personal thing, and only you and your teacher can really get at what needs work.

Chris Tessone

Brown Belt, Kuk Sool Won

Well my outlook on forms is prob. different from most peoples. As a blackbelt open forms national competitor I've seen many many forms. Many people think that flash is best but unless the flash is followed with meaningful technique it is useless. In my form I executed a flashkick but it was from on technique into the flashkick into another technique. So combinations are important and runon techniques need to go. many people do forms and it looks like one continuous technique. That is no good.... I'll give more later...

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

In my opinion it's having a complete understanding of your kata which includes the tempo and bunkai. That way when you practice your kata, you know when and how each movement is to be performed. As for knowing the bunkai, I feel it keeps from just going through the motions of the kata. One last thing is the expression you provide for your kata. Will you kata be exciting, or dull :???: This is my opinion and hope it helps!

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Technique is a very important thing. Make sure each technique is sharp, clean, and focused. What I did when I competed in forms is, I do a technique making sure it's sharp, and clean (not just poppin my arms and legs out there), pause for a second or two (just long enough for the judges to "see" your technique) then move on to the next technique. Focus on what you are doing. Show power when the form calls for it and/or show "fluid" slow motion when the form calls for it, ect. "Define" every move.

Also, some people believe that "speed" in a form is great. I don't agree, because if you go too fast, the judges can't see your technique, and you might get so ahead of youself that you mess up or forget where you are. Like I said above, I think technique is the most important thing. Make sure you have strong and good techniques.

Laurie F

The person doing them.

I have really killed some kata in my day. Espically ones with jumps in them. However a person who can jump makes it really nice.

I like kata that are slow then have short quick bursts.

[ This Message was edited by: G95champ on 2002-05-06 22:22 ]

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I like how SaiFightsMS described how kata should be performed in her post in "I Am Frustated With Lack of Info Master Provides for devlopement" thread ....

On 2002-05-07 05:57, SaiFightsMS wrote:

the usual kata complaints are better stances, more power, sharper quicker blocks, faster punches, crisper kicks, more fluidity.....

It is really a rare thing to see a kata done flawlessly. Many think there is no such thing as the perfectly executed kata. It is a goal to shoot for.

Watch classmates of varying ranks perform the same skills. There should be a difference.

Although I train in TKD hyungs/forms ... I have found this site helpful as well .... Here are basic core training for kata/patterns.

http://home.merlin.mb.ca/~cpetriw/KATA%20EXERCISES.htm ...

Intensity and Focus....

The intensity in which you perform your form tells a lot. Remember a Kata tells a story so the better you tell the story the better your form will be. Each technique represents an attack, defense, etc. so make sure it is known what you are doing. Many people put a lot of emphasis on the punches and kicks but never on the blocks... In my e yes the block is more important.

Focus- make sure you put your hand or foot where it is suppossed to go. If you're throwing a front kick to the face then the kick needs to be thrown at that level, held for a split second and rechambered. Every hand technique needs to be placed at its intended location.

Also, Make sure you look where you are going or are about to go. If you are turning to the back then look before you turn. How would you know someone was behind you without looking?

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

Some good tips but nothing that i didnt know. I have a question if you follow your eyes with your hands on some techniques that will make the technique looks better for a judge or sensei right?

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

Yes if you follow your tech. with your eyes it will help both in competition and with your instructor. However, you should train to make the form better for YOU... After all you are the one who wants to perfect it.