• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So much wasted talent

Hidden_Ronin

Unfortunately that probably isn't an option. They generally don't allow people to wander in off the street to watch a lesson. They don't even advertise where and when they train - all new punters are brought in via door to door sales of memberships. I've even heard of clubs that lock the door so that nosy martial artists can't come in to have a look.

Would that not ring alarm bells. Surley any legitimate Martial arts instructor or art would welcome anyone to thier ryu or style. Even taking a synical aproach and look at the situation from a bussies P.O.V, It would make more sense to welcome all. The deeper I dig the more this "Martial art" seems like a cult. It makes me so angry to think about the untold damage they (GKR, not thier students) do to all the hard work put in by true martial artists. All it takes is for one brainwashed "GKR shodan" to get downed in a real fight, that is one that actually allows touching (Shock horror :o ), and suddenly Karate dosn't work.

Makes me a tad irritated to say the least.

That is what I was starting to think as well. I get a lot of red flags reading this.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree with what's been said here. Another thing you can do that's a little less harsh than telling him to find another dojo is to invite him to a better dojo for a couple of lessons to better understand different styles, let him come to the decision himself.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Apparently if he joins another Dojo as well as GKR they will boot him out! Is that common practice?

Its not formally GKR policy for everyday members but they are strongly discouraged from training outside GKR. I think it is actually company policy if you're one of their door-knocking 'self-defence consultants'.

bushio_man96 said:

Maybe you should go take a look at the school that he attends. Watch a class,

Unfortunately that probably isn't an option. They generally don't allow people to wander in off the street to watch a lesson. They don't even advertise where and when they train - all new punters are brought in via door to door sales of memberships. I've even heard of clubs that lock the door so that nosy martial artists can't come in to have a look.

Best to just go along, wear a white and ask if they mind you training. Just say you've done some karate before but be circumspect about the fact that you currently train.

Ultimately Mike I think you did the right thing to point out to your friend that some of what he's learnt simply doesn't work. Its much better to find out that way rather than down a dark alley on a Saturday night.

Will your friend ever listen? That's up to him. Remember, he's been subject to months if not years of GKR propoganda. All you can do is continue to expose him to good quality martial arts. But he needs to make the realisation that what he's learnt so far is a total crock. Try to shove it down his neck and he'll only stick his head in the sand.

Mike

https://www.headingleykarate.org

Practical Karate for Self-Defence

Would that not ring alarm bells. Surley any legitimate Martial arts instructor or art would welcome anyone to thier ryu or style. Even taking a synical aproach and look at the situation from a bussies P.O.V, It would make more sense to welcome all. The deeper I dig the more this "Martial art" seems like a cult. It makes me so angry to think about the untold damage they (GKR, not thier students) do to all the hard work put in by true martial artists. All it takes is for one brainwashed "GKR shodan" to get downed in a real fight, that is one that actually allows touching (Shock horror :o ), and suddenly Karate dosn't work.

Makes me a tad irritated to say the least.

"Greet your friends with open arms, and your enemies with open hands"

Maybe you should go take a look at the school that he attends. Watch a class, and then see if your conclusions are justified. If that is the case, then you may want to try to talk him into leaving, if you really feel that this is for the best.

It is good that you pointed out some technical problems that he is having, and I think the fact that you guys got together and bounced ideas off of each other is fantastic. This shows great spirit and commaraderie for the martial arts. If you want to ease him into it, schedule a few more of these little meetings and keep working together. He may see for himself eventually that coming your way is the thing to do.

This is good advice.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

when I was first looking into joining a MA school I was very interested in TKD. The first school I visited was very similar to this GKR school, they were ineffective and very pricey(seriously $900 for 6 month contract)

It put a bad taste in my mouth for MA. I went to a few more places until I found the Kempo school I joined and moved up in and had no problems with until recently.

Your friend sounds like he needs to shop around. Like it was pointed out earlier, its better you point it out than someone else on the street in a way that hurts.

I would take this very seriously as he could get hurt should he start to run his mouth to the wrong people. Im not implying he is that kind of person but Im truly against McDojos that bring a false sense of security to the practitioner. Show him some videos online if he is reluctant to visit somewhere else. You Tube has tons of videos and demos of tons of styles.

I hope you get things figured out. :karate:

There is no teacher but the enemy.

when I was first looking into joining a MA school I was very interested in TKD. The first school I visited was very similar to this GKR school, they were ineffective and very pricey(seriously $900 for 6 month contract)

:o :o Holy cow!!! $900 for six months!! :o :o It is a wonder these places ever get students to begin with.