hook punch

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, both work, but you are using different muscles for each, so one may be stronger for some people than others.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

My only concern would be that with having the palm facing you, it is likely you will be hitting with a bent wrist, and we all know what that leads too.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Yeh, definately if you are hook punching with your palm towards yourself, all the angle has to come from your elbow and position compared with your opponent.

-Lao Tzu

Yes, both work, but you are using different muscles for each, so one may be stronger for some people than others.

different muscles? how so? with the fist vertical, the bicep is engaged more, but since you don't pull inward on the punch, the the bicep isn't really used any more than it is on a horizontal punch.

The power from a hook punch comes from rotation at the shoulder. When impact is made, using the vertical fist, the stability of the shoulder is more dependant on the trapezius and supraspinatus (two muscles in the top-back of your shoulder), and isn't quite as dependant on the deltoideus as the horizontal fist punch. This doesn't make a significant difference in everyone, but it does in some. My delts aren't particularly strong, so my punch "gives" less upon impact (and thus translates more force) if I go for the vertical punch that utilizes those accesory muscles.

...and just as a note, I think I broke the internet, and I'm confused, so if this is posted at some weird place, I apologize.

-Lao Tzu

My only concern would be that with having the palm facing you, it is likely you will be hitting with a bent wrist, and we all know what that leads too.

Having the palm facing you is actually safer. A proper hook punch is thrown with the arm at a 90 degree angle - it's a very close range punch. you only risk bending the wrist too much if you are throwing the punch from the wrong distance. A long distance hook is what you know as a haymaker.

When done at the proper angle, the vertical fisted hook (palm facing you) ensures that you hit with the top two knuckles. Punching horizontally, you run the chance of hitting with the last two - and the pinky knuckle is very weak. There was actually a term for breaking this knuckle - it's called "boxer's break". It was named that for the high volume of boxers that were breaking that knuckle when it connected with an opponent's jaw when throwing a hook.

that said, both versions are correct. If you want to interchange them, range should dictate which variation you use.

Edited by elbows_and_knees

different muscles? how so? with the fist vertical, the bicep is engaged more, but since you don't pull inward on the punch, the the bicep isn't really used any more than it is on a horizontal punch.