• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting question

As has been said, grappling is a good idea, to take away the height advantage. Working angles and getting in close is good, too. Taking out the legs, as has been mentioned, is helpful.

When sparring, you have to cut to the side and try to evade the techniques while gaining ground, that way you get into his territory.

All excellent advice. But, I would like to add that if it is a larger and much stronger opponent if you plan on grappling make sure you are a good grappler. Rudimentary grappling skills are not enough against sheer size and power.

Grappling arts like BJJ are great but it takes a lot of practice and hard work to be effective. You just can't train a few weeks and become proficient. When even a skilled stand up fighter goes against a good BJJ practioner, he will most likely be toast.

How do I know this? I just started to cross train and it was an eye opener. :o I'm not too shabby in my standup. My Sweeps, locks and throws are pretty decent. I'm not too bad on the ground but when flat on my back or when in the mount I was a dead man. :dead:

What I'm really saying is that it is important to have a well balance arsenal at your disposal. Neither striking or grappling alone is enough.

Remember a grappler can be knocked out before he goes to the ground, so both are important. :)

This is good advise as well. Although I don't advocate going to the ground with someone, because it is not my strong suit, it can be beneficial if you know what you are doing. I have been trying to become more versed in ground fighting, but I know that it is not an easy skill to learn. Most of the advise I give is more related to standup, as this is where my experience comes from. Of course, that side step to a side kick could easily be switched from a side step to a single leg takedown, if the situation warrants, and you are well versed enough on the ground.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing on ground fighting in the street....going to the ground in a real fight is a lot like a knife fight, your probably going to take some hits. With stand up, there's many ways to avoid being hit altogether, and end the fight with your own strikes.

One more thing on ground fighting in the street....going to the ground in a real fight is a lot like a knife fight, your probably going to take some hits. With stand up, there's many ways to avoid being hit altogether, and end the fight with your own strikes.

However, grappling affords greater ability to control another's limbs. When striking with an opponent, you are just as likely to receive as you are to give.

However, grappling affords greater ability to control another's limbs. When striking with an opponent, you are just as likely to receive as you are to give.

Absolutely....just wanted to stress that on the ground you really have to understand in your mind that your going to get hit, even if you don't, the likelyhood is greater that your going to take some strikes at that close range.