• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting Annoyed

Orion

Orion,

Look at it this way. I would rather have someone looking in say wow, that Blue belt is good than oh man take a look at that purple belt over there he's terrible. :P I recently started a new style and on day 1 as a white belt the other students were saying wow where did you find that whitebelt he's real good.

Work hard. The rank really dosen't matter work on you movements being good, strong and effective. Work on your distancing and timeing as it will be all the more important in your sparring and as you advance.

You is doing good keep it up!!!! :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'blue belt blues' lol I like that. Cheers for the replies.

I know that I am far from perfect from the kata, but while we are having to do the kata to count you have to do the moves when the sensei says so you do not really have the full concentration. Also you have people who are just starting to learn the kata. I don't know I think I might be getting bored overall. I'll just grin and bear it.

Thanks again

I actually had the same problem when I was at your level. It was only after I had reached my next belt did I realize that the reason for going through it one move at a time was very important. If I can give you any advice it is to be patient. :) Keep visualizing different ppl attacking & defending while you do your kata too.

Supplement your kata training with bunkai training and you'll find it gets much more interesting.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

While I certainly agree that many are susceptible to falling into the trap of impatience, not only with ones self but ones surroundings as well. Much of the advice given here is RIGHT ON IMO, I only hope I can remember some of this when I encounter my own "blue belt blues". I'd like to add that from my perspective, Karate-Do is in part about overcoming these type of obstacles. :)

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

Yeah im a blue belt, about half way through now. I'm hoping to start it soon, we have a competition coming up soon which I hope to join in with.

Now's the perfect time to practice your kata for the comp then. As most posts have pointed out kata take a long time to perfect. Once you have "learnt" a kata it does not get thrown away never to be done again. You will be doing the very same kata you are so tired of at black belt level and beyond.

Why don't you in your own time learn the next kata so by the time your class does the kata you know the basic moves. Try and find out what the possible bunkai moves are the the kata you are doing. Can you do the kata backwards (from finish to start)? How fast can you do the kata making sure you can do the complete moves. There are many way to keep your interest in a kata. Have you made a video of you doing the kata. Nothing like self critisism to improve a kata.

Karate ni sente nashi - There is no first attack in karate

Actually, I find that one step at a time approach to kata quite helpful. It gives you time to really analyse and get to know the more subtle elements of the kata, which you don't necessarily get when running through it quickly. E.g. working on the precise way the hip twists when shifting stance or performing certain hand movements.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Actually, I find that one step at a time approach to kata quite helpful. It gives you time to really analyse and get to know the more subtle elements of the kata, which you don't necessarily get when running through it quickly. E.g. working on the precise way the hip twists when shifting stance or performing certain hand movements.

When I went to my Instructor Certification Camp in the ATA around 10 years ago, we did a similar step-by-step workout for our white belt form. We did the form once, consisting of 18 moves, in 45 minutes time. It was quite an experience, and one that I can still pick things out from. We did the same thing with some of our black belt forms that week as well. Awesome good time.

It is also helpful for learning timing, as the instructor can do it by-the-count, and you can get a feel for the proper execution.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Every kata has something to teach you. Sometimes several things. As was pointed out perfect practice makes perfect. Savor the time you have to practice under the instruction of the sensei. I believe Fumakoshi said something like a 1000-2000 repitions to understand a kata. Are you there yet?(proabbly not)

On a second note think about it from your sensei`s perspective. He sees infront of him a student who doesnt seem to work hard at his kata, and has no interest in improving. I know that does not please me when I am teching a class. Not something you want to let him think going into a testing(or anytime for that matter).

Besides if he is doing what I am guessing he is doing you wont enjoy it anyway, the destruction of the ego is never a pleaseant experience.

Now some things you could work on.(note these apply in our school of tae kwon do, so some may not apply)

Work on deepening your stances- they can almost never be too deep

Attempt to develp full power in your strikes an blocks. A block can be a strike and a strike can be a block.

Does your head remain at the same hight throught the kata? If not you are not moving evenly from stance to stance.

Otherwise you have been given some great advise. Good luck

I have had students learn kata from videos only to find that we teach that same form slightly differently.

If you think you are bored now, wait until you get your next rank, already know the kata and have three months or more of doing something you learned as a blue belt.

Patience is certainly necessary for success in the martial arts. If you trust your instructor to teach you, and think he is competent at what he does, then go at his time. If you think he is an incompetent hack, then go find a new instructor.

Here's what I think. You're an amazing learner, and being able to learn by site is something not everybody does well. However, and I'm not saing it's wrong, but learning by DVD/movie is a cheap way to get ahead of your class. Right now you're at the point where you can't wait to learn more. So here's what I would do. I'm not sure what the emahisis is on in your Dojo, but watch your Sensei. Make your stances and techniques as simular to Sensei as possible. Then, do that and be the first to the position in the kata before the class, but still on count. The trick right now is to create games during kata to keep you focus on something, even if you alraedy know it.

"Karate isn't being able to fight, but knowing when to." Shihon Morris Mack