• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting Annoyed

Orion

Hi All

I am currently working towards my Purple belt (grading at the end of the month), however im starting to get bored/annoyed in class. Its not with any of the students but its with the fact that I know my grading kata (I'm far from perfect but I would say I know it to blue belt standard). I have learn't in my own time from a DVD the next kata up. However in class when it comes to kata I have to go with the rest of the blue belts and go through the kata to count (with the sensei infront showing us the moves). I don't know what to do I enjoy it, but I feel I am being held back, and I get bored and can just feel myself not trying. Last night was great until the kata section and then I just wanted to be at the gym.

Has anyone else felt like this and what did you do?

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the "blue belt blues". It's quite normal, we all go through various peaks and troughs during training. Best thing you can do is knuckle down, head down, bum up and just work on your technique. Ask your sensei as respectfully as possible, what you need to work on right now. Teachers will often see things within us that we can't at the time until it is pointed out.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

Definetly the Blue Belt Blues.

I felt the exact same way.

It gets a little frustrating after you learn the basics and you want to advance faster.

Then I started working harder on my technique.

Remember, no matter how advanced you are you can always work on technique.

Are your kicks as good and they can be? What about your block?

Are you katas smooth and powerful?

I always like to watch my instructors and try to make my kata and techniques look as good as theirs.

Just hang in there and keep practicing.

I know you think you have learned the kata. However, you have not truly perfected it yet and you haven't learned how to savor and enjoy the kata. You have to get into the kata deeply and "visualize" various battles (so-to-speak) to mentally apply all applications of kata technique, timing, breathing, and variations of its use.

You may have learned and perfected the "outside" movements of the kata. But you don't truly learn the "inside" movements of the kata until you do this. This is a life time of learning, not over night.

So if you are bored, you have not explored the true "inside" aspects of kata.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

The 'blue belt blues' lol I like that. Cheers for the replies.

I know that I am far from perfect from the kata, but while we are having to do the kata to count you have to do the moves when the sensei says so you do not really have the full concentration. Also you have people who are just starting to learn the kata. I don't know I think I might be getting bored overall. I'll just grin and bear it.

Thanks again

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

You said yourself that your kata is far from perfect, so instead of worrying about the dynamics (doing it to count) of the kata, work on the individual techniques. In other words, since the class your participating it is obviously moving too slow for you skill level, embrace the fact that you have the chance to really concentrate on each movement in the kata. Still utilize full power in your movements, but analyze each technique to perfect them. This way, when you are moving on in rank, and have the opportunity to then conduct this kata without count, you can worry more about the dynamics and less about the individual technique's because you will have better muscle memory for the technique's.

Your sensei I am sure has his reasons. I know the feeling but repatition is what will fix it. Learning a kata from a DVD is one thing but to learn it well its what your sensei is doing that I think you may not realize now that will help you in the long run. Years from now I think you will understand better why.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

The other night I was watching a great documentary on Karate and it was based in Japan. The head instructors of these dojo's were very high ranking and the students ranged from white to 5th Dan. It showed much emphasis on kata and the importance of kata. In it, the head instructor did exactly what your class was doing, one step count kata, him leading of course. I watched 5th dan black belts going through the most basic kata right along side the white belts, step by step, not as instructors, but as students. There is a time in your training that you feel that you aren't advancing as fast. This is the time to really evaluate yourself, your dedication, your technique, and your loyalty to the art. You can always improve. Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. Are you really concerned about training and being good at what you do, or are you more concerned with earning your next rank?

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Hi All

I am currently working towards my Purple belt (grading at the end of the month), however im starting to get bored/annoyed in class. Its not with any of the students but its with the fact that I know my grading kata (I'm far from perfect but I would say I know it to blue belt standard). I have learn't in my own time from a DVD the next kata up. However in class when it comes to kata I have to go with the rest of the blue belts and go through the kata to count (with the sensei infront showing us the moves). I don't know what to do I enjoy it, but I feel I am being held back, and I get bored and can just feel myself not trying. Last night was great until the kata section and then I just wanted to be at the gym.

Has anyone else felt like this and what did you do?

Many great posts. Just remember that one of the secrets of martial arts is REPETITION (of course with undertanding of the techniques you are repeating.) The more you repeat the more you will understand and feel the techniques and their various meanings. With constant repetition, you will soon understand that there is more to karate than you thought.

Also, remember the old saying "Five years, One Kata." (Or at least, something to that effect).

Try to get your hands on some karate books written by Okinawan masters.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".