• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to train in karate-jutsu or street-karate?

Sinbad

I think it's different in every dojo. In my dojo we do judo gi throws, doubles, singles, sweeps, etc. When we spar we also use all of the above.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff, thanks! The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. What a great journey.

I have found many of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu books by the various Gracies to be well laid out, simple, with effective modern text with great photos.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I feel that long term Karate provides everything you need, however I also strongly feel that we need to make a list and be aware of the most common attacks one gets on the street and then assiduously practise defense and counter attacks.

Strangely enough I asked this same question of the coach of the current World Middle Weight Boxing Champ:

"May I ask, what is your opinion in regards to real life street fighting

defense and Karate from a traditional Japanese school say like Shotokan

Karate, is that really effective? If someone came to you with the specific need to develop themselves for street fighting defense, what would you advise/teach them?"

His reply was:

I think a mix of stand up skills and ground skills is important. For example

boxing/muay thai and grappling/judo.

The traditional karate schools are not always effective. It takes too long

to get to the stuff that actually works. Many of the katas do not teach

what really happens in the street.

Also, a certain mindset is required for street fighting. Many of the attacks

are unprovoked. There are no rules. You need to be ready for the unexpected. I grew up fighting in the streets and had many unexpected confrontations. I learned to react and sense trouble. I'm not sure how to teach this though. I learned the hard way by living the life.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Check out these books by Iain Abernethy: Karate's Grapling Methods, Throws for Strikers, and Bunkai Jutsu. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Good Okinawan karate teaches it all. Sensei Lindsey who was mentioned earlier is my only instructor. He's the best MAs instructor I've ever trained under and I've trained with Carlos "Caique" Elias (Rickson Gracie's top BB), Ryron Gracie, Ulysses Aquino (Shorinkan P.I.) and Siddichat Somchai (Muay Thai in the P.I.). I started off in Kodokan Judo and boxing, and nothing comes close to the depth and complex "simplicity" of Ron Lindsey's Matsumura Orthodox Shorin Ryu. Nothing.

If you're a karate-ka asking if there are throws, ground-fighting and submissions in karate then you're doing fake, pseudo-kickboxing gendai karate. Go find a good Okinawan style shinshii (sensei). He'll teach you the real stuff, if he knows it.

When it comes to karate I always ask-- "Is it of the original intent"?

You can't fade me, man!

I agree, traditional karate has everything you need. The only thing wih it is it will take more than a few months to become effective.