• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to train in karate-jutsu or street-karate?

Sinbad

I as well am in Okinawan karate but we have a seperate judo class.

"Which one is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so does gojuryu karate have these grappling moves? i haven't got the chance to see a kata higher than seipai fully performed yet, so i'm not sure..

does other karate styles have grapplings as in shotokan?

Taikudo-ka

Another question. Where do you get a copy of the bubishi from? Is it a book, if so who’s it by. I looked up pages on the web and they talked about ancient fighting techniques, but I didn’t find them fully illustrated. Perhaps you could point me towards a good website or book distributor.

Radok – that sounds great! How do you practice these moves? Is it prearranged or do you move on to trying them against a resisting uke? How do integrate these techniques safely into a sparring session? Would love to hear your comments on these.

Phantasmatic - I’m also taking judo classes in addition to my karate but at the moment I’m not sure how best to incorporate the two arts into realistic practice together

:???:

Yah, I think Radok's class sounds pretty good as well - original shorin-ryu with focus on all the components - wow.

The Bubishi is an ancient (well, pre 1900's, anyway) manuscript, originating somewhere around either Okinawa or Fukien province in China, or both. It basically records techniques from Chinese kung-fu, mostly white crane and tiger styles and monk fist boxing. It seems to be written in Okinawan - using a mix of Chinese and Japanese meanings for kanji and many obsolete or old style characters.

It is known that several of the old karate masters possessed Bubishi and used it to develop their art. (Indeed the Goju name comes straight from this book). Wholesale extracts from the Bubishi have appeared in works by Gichin Funakoshi, Chojun Miyagi, Choki Motobu, and others. Obviously it has been very influencial in the development of the original karate-jutsu.

How does this help you?

Well, the Bubishi has three main areas of interest to the martial artist.

1. Vital points - various striking points are identified on the body.

2. Fighting principles and concepts - including, for example, 29 points on grappling and escapes. These are sometimes principles, sometimes straightforward advice like "26. If someone grabs you from behind in a bear hug, smash their face with the back of your head before counter-attacking."

3. The 48 self defense diagrams - 48 illustrations of one-on-one combat, each with a "winning" and "losing" move. The moves are sometimes (not always) described poetically and may initially seem hard to understand. But with study, they start to reveal themselves. I'm starting to recognize a lot of "karate" type techniques being shown in the pictures, and how they'd work in the diagram shown.

There are a lot of illustrations of basic "street" situation like someone pushing you, grabbing your arms, attempting a bear hug, grabbing your hair, etc, and a suggested "winning" retaliation move. There are also a lot of ways to deal with kicks, usually resulting in the kicker being thrown.

Diagram 39, for example, could indicate the "double elbow" move from Pinan Sandan, but shows it grasping one arm of the opponent to set up a throw (and pull him into the elbow), and the other elbowing him to soften him up for the throw.

Diagram 22 shows another throw, and it is exactly the same thing Iain A. demonstrates in the other book I mentioned, page 50, fig 55.

The edition I'm using is an English translation by Patrick McCarthy, published by Tuttle and titled "The Bible of Karate - Bubishi".

If it's not in your local bookstore, try Amazon.com. They also have another English edition by someone else, which I haven't seen, except for the cover on their website.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

• 2 years later...

i'm involved in Okinawan karate as wel, and our sensei has had us work on take downs, joint locks, wrestling as well.

not sure if its strictly part of ou system or if he just incorporated bc he has so many years experience. Whatever the case is, I found it beneficial knowing it as well as fighting standing up. after all, 90% of "street fights" generally go to the ground.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Holy Thread Necromancy Batman!

Anyway, all those things are definitely part of the system. You have to realize that a system is a collection of not just techniques, but also principles.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I think throwing and grappling complete the arsenal for a striker. MMA is gaining momentum.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Karate was designed for warfare.

It not the art that will let the people down, its the people that will let the art down"

Karate contains everything you will ever need in a street fight and a lot more besides

I have trained in traditional Karate for 41 years and I have been in many street fights (in my arrogant youth) as well as illegal bare knuckle boxing matches and Karate has never let me down.

Dont look for short cuts, there are none.

Seek mastery. A street fighter simple cannot compete with a properly trained Karate-ka. Its like squashing an ant

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

the karate as we practice today in many styles is not the original tuite as it was practiced in okinawa. i was talking to sensei Lindsey on Sunday(master of tuite and one of highest rank in matsumura seito and white crane) he mentioned anywhere he goes he has to pull the people up from their Zenkutsu dachi or teach high ranks how to hold a weapon correctly since these all have been changed and adapted for tournoments during the years, for example a simple middle block , i have seen many styles bring their hands inside their body like a "X" to protect their center line and then block a punch with middle block, the way he does it most of the time is to slightly defelect the punch with back hand while front hand is punching the body(under the incoming punch) then front hand turns and push the punching hand totaly off, and same blocking hand punch over, these all like a simple middle block but there is actualy no block at all.

Here's some links to good books that may be of help:

Karate's grappling Methods

Throws For Strikers

Bunkai Jutsu

The Bubishi

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!