• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gift from a visitor

isshinryu5toforever

I am basically an extended visitor in the dojo I am from. The instructor's birthday is coming up and I am looking for something to get him. I was thinking possibly a more traditional gift such as a case for his bo. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm kind of looking for cool stuff, like traditional Japanese pipes, things of that nature. Sake sets, tea sets, etc. I feel are done to the point they are impersonal unless very fancy or requested.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maybe you could get a nice varnished bo, and get some Japanese writing etched into it, saying something about how you appreciate his help in working with you, and that kind of stuff.

My vote would be a bottle of sake but there are different types of what we call sake. Depending upon where your sensei is from I can let you know the best type for you to purchase. Just let me know.

If you decide to go with something other than sake, try seeking a traditional calligrapher. That person can use their talent to write something for your sensei. For example one of their dojo kun (e.g. one of ours is "Seek Perfection of Character"). On that paper the artist may include plants or animals, or a custom border, etc. Something like that will vary in cost from artist to artist, but in any case it is tasteful and not so expensive that you will look absurd for offering it.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I had a japanese artist paint ( in kanji) my instructors name and the school name on one rice paper and on the other, the kanji said honor, respect, loyalty, and had both framed in bamboo. It turned out awesome and was really inexpensive. He loved it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

He likes to drink, so sake is one option, but I feel like that's a very easy fall-back option. Also please refrain from calling him my sensei. I'm not being mean, but he is an instructor I train with, my sensei is the man who has been teaching me martial arts my entire life. The custom caligraphy sounds like a possible idea. Thank you for the suggestions keep them coming.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If you want to do calligraphy https://www.takase.com is my first choice Eri Takase is a japanese master caligrapher. She does excellent work.

If you want digital work or something more cost effective https://www.thejapaneseconnection.com is what I use for name translations and other translations. They also do a very nice job.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 2 weeks later...

How about some good quality martial arts books?

Are you specifically wanting a Japanses/Asian present? If not then a good bottle of whiskey might be nice or a watch or decent pen/pencil set (you can often get them engraved with initials too).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!