• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Parents

As an instructor I would personally be overjoyed that a parent would be so passionate about their child learning the culture and etiquette of and through a martial arts class. It may get to any annoying stage, but I would welcome it as a change from the usual parents that drop off their child and don't ask questions about what it is that their child is doing for an hour two to three times a week.

I personally enjoy learning the history and culture behind the martial arts, but I just like history in general, especially ancient warfare.

However, and everyone make sure they are sitting down for this,...........................I don't feel that the study of history and culture are necessary requisites to becoming a good martial artist :o :o . Sure, it is great to learn, if you are into that stuff, but it has nothing to do with the focal points of the martial arts, which is either fighting or learning how to defend yourself. It is fun to learn, but unless you plan to bore your opponent with a history lesson, it will not serve much use when it comes time to fight for your life.

There is time for everything. From my point of view, you can start telling them some small pieces of information about the story of Martial Arts during class, if they are related with what you are teaching at the moment, but not becoming an obsession from the first class. Martial Artist road is long, and everything must happen at the correct time.

Oh, yes, you are right here. I am not saying that I don't teach it, or that it shouldn't be taught. It is just that the level of necessity is not high, in my opinion.

Case in point: Boxing. I love boxing, and its history, but it is hard to find anything on boxing other than the newest fights getting set up. I like to learn about the development of the art, and it is hard to some times.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cathal, I have dealt with parents like this. Her intentions are good, but here is the problem ------> she is always going to question everything you do and teach, and she is never going to be satisfied with the answer. That is why she has already left 2 schools and probably 2 gymnastics classes and 2 piano teachers etc.... The person suffering here is her child, who will grow up believing that nothing is ever going to be good enough for her.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

That's a major cause for regret, having such an over protective parent. I just heard that she won't be enrolling her child in our dojo right now though. They might be back when the next class begins, we'll have to see.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Don't have regrets. You probably just dodged some bullets with this mom. I know that I might sound crude, but she may just cause you and your instructor problems down the road. The best way to advertise is through word of mouth. If she finds even one thing to complain about in your school, she will definitely give your dojo some negative publicity to all who listen.

Cathal, I have dealt with parents like this. Her intentions are good, but here is the problem ------> she is always going to question everything you do and teach, and she is never going to be satisfied with the answer. That is why she has already left 2 schools and probably 2 gymnastics classes and 2 piano teachers etc.... The person suffering here is her child, who will grow up believing that nothing is ever going to be good enough for her.

True but possibly an opportunity to help two people grow.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Last night, I was teching the younger children... Now; I have seen on of my friends teach them, and basically; he was "useless" (notice the quote marks)...

The reason ebing is that with younger children you need to give them lots of praise (that age again!! :lol:) and explain things simply... Anyhows, he was way too complicated... I twas my turn to take them, so I did it that way that I do, and afterwards (we have a 30 min break before the next group) some parents came up to me and began talking to me (not unusual) but the questions they were asking were similar to those that asked you Cathal.

I replied by saying that Karate is discipline, etiquette, studying hard is better than not doing so... If you want to learn more, ask the sensei etc... And after reading your post Cathal, I think that how you replied to the parent was good! I followed the same as you, and it looked like the parents were satisfied! :lol:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I think it is a good thing that parents questions about their child's training are only handled by the head instructor in our school.

I replied by saying that Karate is discipline, etiquette, studying hard is better than not doing so... If you want to learn more, ask the sensei etc... And after reading your post Cathal, I think that how you replied to the parent was good! I followed the same as you, and it looked like the parents were satisfied! :lol:

Sweeet :D

- Sun-tzu

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, this is not normal. Most parents are more interested in the discipline rather than the culture as a whole. Be wary of parents that have shifted their children from dojo to dojo, but with any luck, she has good intentions.

You did well in answering the unusual query.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Sadly they have decided not to return. I'm so sorry to say this but I'm thinking it was perhaps for the best. But, the worst maybe for the daughter.

- Sun-tzu